Quantcast
Knife holder - advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knife holder - advice

Knife holder - advice

Hi guys.
    I'm thinking about building a knife holder...I looked around in internet and I found out some ideas.
    Here an image of my idea made at computer, if you sow something similar is beacuse I started from an existing model (too expensive and which doesn't meet completely my taste)

I'd like to have some advice about the lenth, I don't know how many knife can hold a 60 cm hole (the rack in the image is 80 cm approx), and if it will be better to have a single hole for each knife, what do you think?
    In the case of a single hole for each knife, Will be better to have the knife perpendicular to the wall?
    Thanks

Andrea

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    you would want a single hole, not a double. Getting to the knives in back can be a pain. Also the weight would be pulling the holder from the wall, causing the blades to clash after a while.
    Chewie's the man.

Slots that wide would be an issue with edges and spines inevitably contacting each other.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Its difficult to beat a magnetic strip holder
    "I gotta tell ya, this is pretty terrific. Ha hahaha, YEAH!" - Moe (w/ 2 knives). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVt4U...layer_embedded

I think your design if beautiful, but I can't see how it would work well in practice (unless the slots were individually made for specific knives, which would be no easy task).

I'll have to reconsider my design - I really appreciate your advice, and I'm thinking about a magnetic rack, but I don't like them too much - it's just the feeling they give me.
    Hi Johnny.B.Good I'd like to know why do you say the slot have to be for a specific knife? Won't it work also with separate slot all of the same dimension?
    I really love this forum
    it's every time of big help

Andrea

I was thinking that if the slot were to be large enough for a relatively thick chef's knife to slide all the way down to the handle, it would be too large for a small paring knife (for example), though maybe this wouldn't be an issue at all. I think I would feel more comfortable with each knife resting in its own secure slot though... It is cool looking though.

Perhaps a single slot that goes from wide to thin? On one end the larger chef knives and the pairing in thinner knives on the other? Shouldn't be to difficult.

I think it is a great idea, Andy777, has similar racks, that seemed to work well. I think the most attractive note about this option is the knives cannot be knocked loose. I am paranoid about knives being knocked off mag racks by balls, sippy cups and teddy bears with two young kids in the house. Segmented sections would be nice to prevent spine and edge knocking, but I don't think they have to be knife specific. A general slot would work fine.

what do you think about this?

the knife will have the edge in the wall direction......I don't know if I'll need a thicker border to prevent the knife to touch the wall (accidentally).
    I'f you have picture of your own knife holder I'll gladly take a look