Quantcast
super wear resistant steels - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: super wear resistant steels

Engorged Member
    The edge on my 230 suji is holding up great.

Quote Originally Posted by Hattorichop View Post
    All I can say is that out of all my knives (even my Devin Thomas ITK) my Tanaka R2 which is a PM steel has the best edge retention of them all. It also sharpens up quit easily. IMO it is the best steel for knife making.
    I think he just passed away.

Quote Originally Posted by Deckhand View Post
    I think he just passed away.
    What?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

There's news that Mr Tanaka has passed away...

I hope Tanaka didnt pass away, that would be a sad day for knife nuts everywhere.

On the PM steel note, I have an Itou in R2 and love it. Easy to sharpen, edge last a really long time. My favorite steel so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mingooch View Post
    I hope Tanaka didnt pass away, that would be a sad day for knife nuts everywhere.

On the PM steel note, I have an Itou in R2 and love it. Easy to sharpen, edge last a really long time. My favorite steel so far.
    There's a topic in the other forum informing us about the news. It's a very sad day indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    What?
    Yes, unfortunate but true.

I thought I'd give a little update on my experience with Devin's super wear resistant steel. This stuff is tougher to sharpen than other DT steels but the edge is holding very well under all conditions except one, so far. I was cutting basically all day on Sunday, periodically testing the edge on tomatoes. Like almost all steels, it lost a bit of sharpness almost immediately and settled into a very nice toothy edge. It survived cutting all kinds of things (not bone, frozen, etc) but plenty of cantaloupe, pineapple, and poly board contact. The only part that seemed to degrade the edge noticeably was torquing it every time it stuck in the poly board while peeling cantaloupe. Even then, you could only tell the difference on tomatoes, really. The last thing I cut that day was chives and they push-cut apart effortlessly a la kcma and with very little bruising. Next time I make salsa, I'll strop on some diamond and cut the tomatoes first.

The funny thing about this thread is that I got an 210mm AEB-L ITK gyuto back in February and it still hasn't seen the stones. It's not getting used every day, but still--DANG that thing is holding its edge. Every time I use it I check the edge--maybe strop it on some cork, and it still shaves paper. Without a doubt the most impressive knife I have so far for edge retention. And yes, I'm kicking myself every day for not grabbing the 150mm petty at the same time. Sounds like there needs to be a PM San Mai in my future...

For my type of use, given the way the AEB-L is holding up, I don't know that I'd want to lose ease of sharpening for extra edge rentention. Assuming the AEB-L sharpens well. The way things are going, it may be another couple months before I find out.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    The funny thing about this thread is that I got an 210mm AEB-L ITK gyuto back in February and it still hasn't seen the stones. It's not getting used every day, but still--DANG that thing is holding its edge. Every time I use it I check the edge--maybe strop it on some cork, and it still shaves paper. Without a doubt the most impressive knife I have so far for edge retention. And yes, I'm kicking myself every day for not grabbing the 150mm petty at the same time. Sounds like there needs to be a PM San Mai in my future...

For my type of use, given the way the AEB-L is holding up, I don't know that I'd want to lose ease of sharpening for extra edge rentention. Assuming the AEB-L sharpens well. The way things are going, it may be another couple months before I find out.
    I have an ITK cleaver in AEB-L and feel the same way. The edge takes a lot more force on a big cleaver thank on a small gyuto, but it still holds up amazingly well and also comes back to life very, very easily with just a little stropping. It's the best stainless steel that I've used to date. I haven't like any of the SWR steels that I've tried simply because I didn't feel that the extra edge retention made up for the extra hassle when it came to touch-ups or sharpening. That said, I was so impressed with his treatment of AEB-L that it makes me want to try the SWR just too see how WR steel can really be.