Quantcast
super wear resistant steels - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: super wear resistant steels

Yeah. I agree. Devin's flavor of AEB-L is my first choice when ultimate sharpness and toughness is favored over wear-resistance. The swr is really only a great option if you don't ever want to sharpen or if you're happy with a fairly coarse edge. The pm stainless is a nice middle ground, I'd say.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Yeah. I agree. Devin's flavor of AEB-L is my first choice when ultimate sharpness and toughness is favored over wear-resistance. The swr is really only a great option if you don't ever want to sharpen or if you're happy with a fairly coarse edge. The pm stainless is a nice middle ground, I'd say.
    I will give you my thoughts on the three in a couple weeks. But D*mn do I want to own some more knives from Hoss besides my itk.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    But D*mn do I want to own some more knives from Hoss besides my itk.
    That's exactly how I feel.
    Managed to keep my ITK sharp enough just by stropping it for a long time, give it a full progression on the stones and then back to stropping for touch ups again. I think I've only been through all the stones 2-3 times in the whole time I've owned it. I'm just a home cook and I have a few gyutos to choose from but it's an easy knife to keep an edge on.

Quote Originally Posted by mattrud View Post
    ...But D*mn do I want to own some more knives from Hoss besides my itk.
    +1. Devin makes great cutting knives and they don't look too bad, either.

I tend to sharpen each sat night when I'm locking up, and I always have to sharpen my carter, but my dt I only do it because its so easy its fun.

While I'm finishing up I always tell my self...man this carter feels great...love the balance the big wa handle vs the dt western ect...I'm gona start using this a lot more...but 2-3 days into the work week I just get angry with it because the edge is dying, the tip isn't thin, the whole thing cuts like its thicker than the dt, but it still flexes more.

Its probably my terrible sharpening but I'm about ready to lose the carter and ask DT to make me one that looks just like it , but cuts and sharpens like his.

AEB-L may have less wear resist than some of his others, but it beats out a lot of my other knives.

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    I tend to sharpen each sat night when I'm locking up, and I always have to sharpen my carter, but my dt I only do it because its so easy its fun.

While I'm finishing up I always tell my self...man this carter feels great...love the balance the big wa handle vs the dt western ect...I'm gona start using this a lot more...but 2-3 days into the work week I just get angry with it because the edge is dying, the tip isn't thin, the whole thing cuts like its thicker than the dt, but it still flexes more.

Its probably my terrible sharpening but I'm about ready to lose the carter and ask DT to make me one that looks just like it , but cuts and sharpens like his.

AEB-L may have less wear resist than some of his others, but it beats out a lot of my other knives.
    I dunno how long you've had your Carter but mine was awesome when I bought it. About a year later, I sent it to a pro who used it for a few weeks and it came back feeling like a POS. I thinned out the secondary bevels and now it's feeling fairly close to the way it performed out of the box. I don't know if you've tried that but it sounds like you definitely need it. As for Devin's AEB-L, it's a bit of a freak. I've tried AEB-L by a couple of other manufacturers and while they all sharpen up quite nicely, Devin's holds an edge noticeably longer.

Guess I can try thinning. If I don't get the job done...maybe you can recommend someone who can take a more experienced look at it...don't wan to clog up this thread anymore though.

Engorged Member
    I really like the SWR but it doesn't seem to get as sharp as his carbon mystery steel.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pescador View Post
    I really like the SWR but it doesn't seem to get as sharp as his carbon mystery steel.
    +1,I am about to try the pm, but the mystery carbon is a dream, both on retention and overall sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    +1,I am about to try the pm, but the mystery carbon is a dream, both on retention and overall sharpness.
    +1. I think I might like it better than 52100. I wonder if the performance of the clad mystery carbon is different than the monosteel.

+ Reply to Thread