Japanese Sakai Takayuki Blue Steel Gyuto Knife 240mm ? Any good?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like that knife. I'm curious to see your responses. I read the description to mean that it is not clad? Wonder if it could be had with a black handle?

-AJ

Yes, I think you should buy it and let us know...

Looks pretty thin and light for a western. Handle appears to be of good size by pictures. I gathered it's mono as well. Could be an interesting knife.

i bet that knife is awesome. im curious what the rockwell hardness is. im not really diggin the handle though. wish they made a wa version.

Yes it does... I like the western deba and honesuki; something tells me mono-blue steel would be pretty rugged.

I sent him an email over eBay about that knife a little while back to get some more information on it. He said the spine to edge length was 46mm and the hardness should be about 63HRC. I would have picked it up in a heartbeat if it was a little bit taller, but that's just my preference. Looks like a great knife!

I think a whole load of people have been looking at that knife and wondering about it but haven't pulled the trigger. I've bought a load of stuff from BluewayJapan and have nothing but positives to say about Keiichi. If it was a 270 I might bite

I've wondered about that knife for years myself, almost talked Ryan into getting it too but he chickened out.

If someone had a 270 I would take a dive in. Apart from blueways, Pauls Finest is the only other place I can see that has them.

I was going to email a while ago and ask about a 270 but I'm sorta skint now. Keiichi is usually really helpful so asking about a 270 might be worth a shot

Aoki and Sakai Takayuki are one and the same, are they not? as evidenced by the logo. a 270 is listed and i am pretty sure Keiichi could get his mitts on one.

Not wa, otherwise I'd get it... Maybe I should be thankful it's not wa :)

*cough* western to wa conversion *cough*

HAHAHA... hey, I've got enough problems with purchasing "too many" wa-handled knives to open that whole can of worms :)

Our restaurant group has two restaurants and the chef in the other spot had this knife. He really enjoyed it but ended up following it with a Konosuke and pretty much abandoning it. Wish I had more info but I rarely got the chance to be around it.

Back