What I am working on

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
I am currently working on a huge and very ambitious group of projects for the Badger knife club show in janesville, WI. on march 25-27. This is a show I have been doing for a number of years and I think it is the best show in the midwest. I have fun every year.
For the first time anywhere I am going to publish my list of current projects. Most of these are first time projects and I may not have time to get all the bugs worked out, but I sure am going to try.

More carbon damascus gyutos; at leats 3 in 240mm
carbon damascus petty; maybe in several sizes
Carbon damascus parer; I have several designs here in mind
stainless damascus gray kunz spoons, I have one almost done still tweeking the design
stainless damascus spatula
stainless damascus fish tongs
stainless damascus moribashi; the ultimate in awesome moribashi
stainless damascus oyster knife
stainless damascus measuring spoons in tablespoon and teaspoon set.

I don't know how much of this list I will get done in time for the show, but I would like to have at least one of each done. This is a challenging list of things to make by itself, but I will have to make all the damascus for these items as well. I'm glad I like this job!!

I will post pics and for several of these projects I intend to post WIP threads as well.
Thanks,

Can't wait to see these items! There are quite a few things on that list that I hope make it into our kitchen (once it is ready).

Nice list Del, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with. If we could just keep you off of that other project for that David guy. :p

Tomorrow I will be working on damascus, I have a billet in progress for knives, but I would also like to get a couple of stainless billets done. One of these is for the moribashi, that is the first item on the list I think I will finish. I do have some damascus done and I may work on some of the other items on the list, I have little pockets of time here and there throughout the day and I usually have 3 or 4 projects going on at once. For the priority question, I will be working all over.
The only pricing that is set for any of the items are the 240mm gyutos, the short answer there is I won't know until they are finished.
Thanks

Hey Del, we exchanged emails a day or two ago. I'll be giving you a call in a soon about a custom and a couple of ideas I have.

Del, here's another one -- how about a butter knife? Us home cooks don't get to flash our fancy knives, measuring spoons, etc. much for guests, so a cool damascus butter knife on the dining room table might turn into a good conversation piece.

I will take one of each!

very ambitious project good luck, I can not wait to see the results

Ummm Del if you make a spoon you know I have to get the 1st one right?? it's kind of a unwritten rule.
If you have not yet started working on it let me send you "the best serving spoon" to use as a reference as the kunz spoon has been done already, & I want to keep my reputation as the muses behind all the custom Damascus spoons in the world. Dam were were all you guys 6 years ago when I started on this quest.

I know you have seen the one Hoss made me but have you ever seen my 1st one? The one Ariel made for me?
6ee075b3.png

Damn, that was looks real nice. How is the size compared to a lg kunz? Does it hold enough to sauce most dishes?

Wow, that spoon is stunning! Looks a little more 'finished' then the DT spoons (edges eased a bit more, etc.). Thanks for taking on these development projects, as they benefit all of us!

Aries is a tasting spoon, so its as long as a kunz (9") but the "dish" is a lot smaller, like a soup spoon.
Arie made his by forging it to shape, kind of like how a sliver smith would "chase" a spoon ( but a hell of a lot harder ). Devan uses a press, so that's one reasion they look different. The steel make up is also different Ariel used 304 & 429MB, it has the looks but it won't temper. Hoss put a spring temper to his spoon as I asked for. Hoss's spoon is "cleaner" looking & more refined, Aries is a free form pice of art.

Damascus measuring cups.

That just happened.

Ummm Del if you make a spoon you know I have to get the 1st one right?? it's kind of a unwritten rule.
If you have not yet started working on it let me send you "the best serving spoon" to use as a reference as the kunz spoon has been done already, & I want to keep my reputation as the muses behind all the custom Damascus spoons in the world. Dam were were all you guys 6 years ago when I started on this quest.

Colin,
I will give you the option on the first one I am happy with, and if you want to send me "the best serving spoon" I'll give that a shot too. I think spoons are cool!

Ok gusy heres an update on where I am. I got the first billet of damascus done, 3 more bars gyuto-sized and I got the stainless billet for the moribashi fused and ready to forge down. And then I had another crazy idea, to take some small pieces of damascus and fuse them onto the sides of an existing bar. I spent all day( I was up until 1:30 am working on this) I started with a bar of O-1 and L-6 for the core and added a few more pieces of that mix as well. Then I started adding the small pieces. Layer upon layer of them, about half a dozen at a time. This differs from the way I normally make damascus, I usually start with a big stack and work it until its done. this billet got piesecs a few at a time, but they were finished patterns. I got a look at the outside of the bar a few times while I was working it and I think it will be monster cool. Its kinda like a crazy quilt of patterns. I was hoping that it would be big enough for 2 gyutos, but sadly it is only big enough for one, and maybe a couple of parers or pettys. It was kinda fun and a bit challenging at the same time. Ok now its back to work.

Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Any international standard for size?
Can it be engraved from a gold smith in Norway?

Forgive my lack of knowledge.
Any international standard for size?
Can it be engraved from a gold smith in Norway?
There are not international standards for size, however there are american and european standards and if you give me a european standard size I can do the conversion to american. I am comfortable working in mm, most of the jewelry market is moving in that direction.
You should be able to find a goldsmith locally that does engraving, and they could do it easily.
Thanks,

One other thing I forgot to mention, yesterday I got in over 80 lbs of AEB-l for making damascus out of. Now I have plenty to work with for awhile.

Dell I would love to see pics of u working on the rings. I just can't imagine how u make them. ryan

Ok.
Time for some harsh reality. What I accomplished this week. Fortunately I had an order for some gold/silver mokume, I filled that order. I spent the rest of the week making damascus for kitchen knives. I finished 7 bars, 2 of those were the crazy quilt pattern, which I think will be majorly cool, but I won't know until they are back from grinding. 3 of the bars are of random pattern similar to what I have done already. 2 of the bars are something else entirely, another new idea I wanted to try. These bars will be sent off for blanchard grinding, while I am waiting for them I will be working on other projects. I did get my stainless damascus billet for moribashi fused as well. I also got over 80 lbs of AEB-L in for making more. Ok so thats what I did this week.
So whats on the board for this week?
I have 3 bars of damascus already ground and ready to make some knives out of, so thats where I will start. I will also be working more on the moribashi.
My goal for the week is to finish those 3 knives and also make some moribashi. Once I get those things done I will work on more stainless damascus for some of the other projects.

Back