Quantcast
Some stainless success! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some stainless success!

Cool i'll look him up. I suppose kevlar would be out of the question for the queen. Hector Cole judged me for my award from the worshipful company, he is a pretty well known blade smith as he does a lot of re-creation stuff for the tv. But he was looking at gates and railings when he came to visit.

I can't wait to see the results of this.

Very impressive. Also if you want to test for JS or MS through the ABS you have to attend the blade show in Atlanta or another show in San Antonio in person.

That could be restrictive, not that I wouldn't love to come out to a blade show. In fact I plan on it at some point.

The stainless now sits either side of some blue paper 2, in the form of something knife shaped and tapered, will get some pics tomorrow.

I'm a tease, no pics yet, The blade is largely finished, but I need to reshape the tip a bit and etch the pattern.
    I sharpened this up to do some edge testing. Its certainly lost a considerable amount of carbon from the core. It shows signs of distortion when I really push on the edge, I would say its ended up a tad softer than my damascus. Probably 57/58hrc. Still takes a mean edge but kinda makes it pointless investing in the blue paper steel. So I shall stomp up and buy some thin pure nickel strip to go either side of the core in the next billet, that will hopefully do the trick.
    Gona be pretty though. The carbon migration will show up on the etch, which will be a nice visual effect at least.

If you want some nickel quickly to try
    http://www.britishblades.com/forums/...ghlight=Nickel

Thanks man, probably a bit thicker than needed that. And I need all my precious 15n20 Lemmy sent me some chunks but they are huge, will use them in damascus instead. John N hinted he has a reel of thin stuff, which would be ideal. To buy it its something like £200/kilo now. Fortunately I don't think it takes very much.

Im looking forward to pics
    Do you do stainless damascus spoons?

+ Reply to Thread