Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Some stainless success!

Olvind, I made a couple of pretty little spoons in my mokume once all forged. Would be a fun project to try one in stainless. I've pm'd you.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Thanks man, probably a bit thicker than needed that. And I need all my precious 15n20 Lemmy sent me some chunks but they are huge, will use them in damascus instead. John N hinted he has a reel of thin stuff, which would be ideal. To buy it its something like £200/kilo now. Fortunately I don't think it takes very much.
    ah cool, didn't know if it was the kind of thing you could forge out. At least if you're only using it in 0.1mm thickness it should only be a few grams per knife....

Ok, some pictures for you. The knife is a 210mm petty. I gave it a flatter profile to my usual and a nice bit of height 44mm with a versatile idea in mind for the line or home chef. Got some nice taper on there, from about 2.6mm over the heel to 0.7, 10mm behind the tip. Convex faces. Sturdy yet thin in the right places.

Right out of the etch, quite allot going on in there.

After a gentle polish with micromesh

More subtle than some stainless combinations but I happy with the result, other than the carbon making a dash for the cladding. This seems to be showing itself in an area above the weld line more resistant to the etch. Hopefully the nickel will stop the carbon migration next time. Interesting visually though.

VERY NICE Will! The frosted decarb line, is a desireable look. It's far enough from the edge to not cause issues. Very well done! How was the hardness?

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

Thanks Pierre. It was fun, other than all the flap preparing the billet Hardness suffered, I would say its about 58hrc, should have been 62hrc on the edge. So its a bit more like a normal high carbon steel now rather than a super star steel. Perfectly usable though. Nickel next time I think. It might not look as interesting though. There is all sorts going on in there, makes me wonder if anything else other than carbon is on the move?
    I could probably get away with a lower temperature on the weld, but then I might have to give it more time, swings and roundabouts.

Is your last name catcheside?

The pattern on that looks exactly like Caddy's Yoshikane Tamamoku in the BST, it looks great

Thanks Steven, Olvind, Yes its my surname. Just a little out of interest thing, Catcheside means "Windy side of the hill" or words to that effect. There is a place called Catcheside up north somewhere, presumably on the side of a windy hill. They won't give it back to me I've asked.

Just carved the chicken with this blade, making sure I got lots of juice all over the core. I'm liking this.

Wow! That one turned out much better than i was expecting. The damascus has some very pretty structure going on plus the carbon migration just adds to the beauty in my opinion. Well done.