Quantcast
Bearnaise sauce - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bearnaise sauce

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
    The "mouth-feel" isn't quite as silky, but depending on the application it's really no big deal. It also gives you a boatload more protection against breakage. Softened room temp whole butter mixes into the yolks like it was meant to be there--clarified butter is a lot more fussy.
    I would be very interested to know what you think of the sauce when thickened by cooking rather than emulsiying by whisking or variations. It is probably not practical for the professional environment, but I think it tastes much better cooked, and am curious what you think, including mouth-feel.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Seeing as how whole butter is already an emulsion I can see the merit in this. Though I've never tried it. I wonder about the temperature of the whole butter though. When I use clarified it's normally over 150 degrees.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Neal View Post
    I would be very interested to know what you think of the sauce when thickened by cooking rather than emulsiying by whisking or variations. It is probably not practical for the professional environment, but I think it tastes much better cooked, and am curious what you think, including mouth-feel.

Keith
    So you're saying there is a different flavor when you create an emulsion by cooking (which I didn't know was possible) as opposed to whisking in the fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    So you're saying there is a different flavor when you create an emulsion by cooking (which I didn't know was possible) as opposed to whisking in the fat?
    I think so. I wish you guys would try it and tell me what you think.

By the way, for heat control, I take the pan off the fire and put my hand full on the bottom of the pan. If I can hold it there a second or so, it is OK. If it is too hot to touch, it is too hot and will separate.

Keith
    If you reach the age of 60 without becoming a curmudgeon, you haven't been paying attention.

When you whisk in the fat over heat(double boiler,open flame etc) aren't you essentially cooking it somewhat? Even adding hot clarified butter will kinda cook the yolks to a certain extent..

I made a bit of bernaise today for a special. snapped a quick pic.

and the clarified butter.

So where is the special?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    So where is the special?
    It was to busy for me to take a picture. It was crab/shrimp/cod stuffed cod, with roasted asparagus in the roll... essentially cod oscar.

I'm sure it was fabulous, butt being allergic to crustaceans I can not get very enthusiastic about the concept!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

+ Reply to Thread