Quantcast
Hobbyist/Vendor/Knifemaker Discussion
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hobbyist/Vendor/Knifemaker Discussion

Hobbyist/Vendor/Knifemaker Discussion

Recently we've made a lot of changes here at KKF to reflect the needs of our community's rapid growth. Some of these changes (like the creation of clear vendor/hobbyist rules) have been seen as beneficial for the control of the unchecked advertising that was taking place here. This has led to some new knifemakers and a new hobbyist coming on board officially and this is good. However we have some bad that has happened in that we lost a few members from the site as well as 5 or 6 hobbyists not officially coming on board. This is a loss of member contribution (to the community) as well as a loss to the members themselves (from a loss of sales).

It is clear to us that the new hobbyist vendor forum(s) are not working out as planned. Clearly this was a popular and well received idea while it was free but now that a fee is being imposed it is not being embraced.

We all want to welcome hobbyists & knifemakers to contribute here at KKF but we have to have guidelines in place so that it doesn't become another knife forum whore.

What I would like to do now is to address these issues in a dialog that hopefully brings forth even further changes to benefit the community. If you have a suggestion towards this end please speak up, we'd love to have your input.

Thanks,
    Dave

The vendor fees are fine, I don't want to see every body and their dog hanging a shingle as a knife maker. The hobbiest thing is going to be an unfortunate situation. Some morrals are going to get in the way of the serious hobbiest. Some makers who don't want to pay ANY fees, will still be bitter. There will be some we lose we didn't want to lose, and some we keep, we want to lose . It will be impossible not to p!ss somebody off. To take sides on a case by case basis will reek of favoirtism and open rifts already healing. I admire the work of some who have choose to leave to the point of offering to pay his fee, his work was valuable. The governing body has mad a stand. If there is a way to make things better, I for one, welcome them. But right now, things seem smoother. So if we cant make things smoother, and protect the position of paying vendors, as is is fine.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I dunno, the hobbyist fee is not huge. You can hardly purchase one knife for less than that around here.

Maybe charging a commission for sales would go over better? Like 10% of what gets sold goes to KKF? It's the same thing to me, but perhaps people would feel better about it.

It's only been a month and a half. Maybe give it time.

Obviously I am biased, but I don’t consider myself a hobbyist, but I do re-handle western handles (passive marketing plug) I think the term has been applied to a person who is trying to make money off it, like selling on ETSY. I am not doing re-handles to make money, I am just a person who after working a 75 hour week likes to work with wood to relieve stress.

I generally only make one handle every two months. (Took me almost 4 years to finish my boat.) The $475.00 fee was inordinate. Simply to be able to recoup the cost of the fee I would have to tack on $80.00 per handle, or increase my output. If I had to increase output and have deadlines; it would increases my stress, going against why I was doing it in the first place….to relieve stress.

I have zero problem donating a portion of the sale to KKF. But 80, or even 40 dollars is absurd.

As much as I would like to keep all the handles I have done, it does not make sense so I looked elsewhere to help keep my sanity. Thankfully there have been a few members who have allowed me to experiment on their knives, for that I am grateful.

I guess the bottom line is, I will continue to make handles because I love doing it and I want to get better at it…those handles have to be sold somewhere for me to continue.

Regarding posting, I truly miss hobbyist, woodworkers, collectors or anyone else being able to post pictures and WIPs. That was one of the main reasons why it was fun for me to come here. No offense to anyone, but the past few month have been a little stagnant regarding colorful content. How I wish for some pics and wips.

I know the fee will probably not go away, but please allow some pics and wips.

I will never go away from this place, I really love comming here and will always be a supporting member, even if I am banned I will change my IP address and be back the next day

"Regarding posting, I truly miss hobbyist, woodworkers, collectors or anyone else being able to post pictures and WIPs. That was one of the main reasons why it was fun for me to come here. No offense to anyone, but the past few month have been a little stagnant regarding colorful content. How I wish for some pics and wips."

Wips and pictures, yes I do miss this as well.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

I like the idea of Commission but perhaps it would be worth exploring though I can still see issues with it. I agree that I loved the WIPS and I am sad they aren't here any more. I think it is hard to really define advertising and perhaps the definition could be loosened a little. I think a lot of WIPs aren't really advertising personally

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    The $475.00 fee was inordinate.

Just for clarification, the hobbyist fee is $175

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Just for clarification, the hobbyist fee is $175
    Really???? I kid you not, all this time I thought it was $475.00

Gah, I really need to get some glasses. That makes a big difference.

That's what I'm saying! If you make custom sayas, and sell them for $150(like a lot of folks do), you make one and you are $25 + cost of wood away from a year of hobbyist fun.

It's two handles.

One cutting board.

1/2-1/5 of a knife.

+ Reply to Thread