Quantcast
Hobbyist/Vendor/Knifemaker Discussion - Page 6
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Hobbyist/Vendor/Knifemaker Discussion

fees

Dave,

I have no desire to become a vendor at this point in time. I make my living doing architectural ironwork, ie, furniture, lighting and fire accessories. That's reality, and isn't going to change. Would it be nice to sell a blade on occasion? Absolutely. But as stated earlier, I'm more interested in feedback from those blade smiths and chefs more skilled than I am. If I felt that I was of vendor quality, and was selling blades, I'd be happy to pay a fee, or commission.

However, it seems to me that the hobbyist fee is somewhat one sided. I have over 20 yrs experience in the blacksmithing trade and can/am willing to contribute to the group many tips/techniques in forging/forge welding etc. What is that worth? Today, I forged a 2720 layer 'W' pattern billet of 1095/L6/5160 that I'd like to share, but can't...unless I pay $175. Also, having gleaned a lot of useful information over the past few months while lurking, I decided to donate to the site (a first for me). It was never acknowledged.

To me, this is a really good site, with some exceptions. I think you need to open it up a bit and embrace new/fresh ideas...wip's etc. The worst case scenario is that you become stagnant, and seemingly elitist.

John Emmerling

Quote Originally Posted by j.g.emmerling View Post
    Today, I forged a 2720 layer 'W' pattern billet of 1095/L6/5160 that I'd like to share, but can't...unless I pay $175.
    You certainly can! But if you are trying to sell it when it's done, or are willing to make more billets to order in the future, a WIP is clearly less like sharing and more like a strong, effective marketing tool. But if you are a blacksmith here to share and learn, and not sell your wares, you can share and talk and show whatever you want.

If you decide to start taking orders on billets, I assure you 1-2 hand-forged billets the forumites here would like to buy will be worth most of the cost of a hobbyist membership. If you aren't selling though, there's no problem.

At this rate of growth, unregulated, there would be a million various kinds of advertising and marketing and sales going down on KKF in 5 years. It would turn into a bazaar--this site is ripe with opportunity and will attract everyone.

A bit off topic, but if someone donates, that does not need to be a quiet transaction. Generosity deserves gratitude.

Eamon,
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Where can I post some pics/info?
    Je

Eamon,
    Thanks for clearing up my confusion. Where can I post some pics/info?
    Je
    There is a Shop Talk subforum here. The rules for it are posted there, and you can check out the other threads--knife guys showing off their stone bases, rehandles etc, and talking shop--about belts, hammers, and laminating stainless. I love a new Shop Talk thread.

Dave,

I have no desire to become a vendor at this point in time. I make my living doing architectural ironwork, ie, furniture, lighting and fire accessories. That's reality, and isn't going to change. Would it be nice to sell a blade on occasion? Absolutely. But as stated earlier, I'm more interested in feedback from those blade smiths and chefs more skilled than I am. If I felt that I was of vendor quality, and was selling blades, I'd be happy to pay a fee, or commission.

However, it seems to me that the hobbyist fee is somewhat one sided. I have over 20 yrs experience in the blacksmithing trade and can/am willing to contribute to the group many tips/techniques in forging/forge welding etc. What is that worth? Today, I forged a 2720 layer 'W' pattern billet of 1095/L6/5160 that I'd like to share, but can't...unless I pay $175.

John,
    You are not required to share with us nor to become a vendor or hobbyist, all of that would be a decision that you make for yourself. We ask nothing of you.

You are a commercial entity posting here. You have made it clear that you are such, what you do, and what (if possible) you will do if presented with the opportunity to sell. This means that you can not simply post pictures of your work as we see this as advertising your wares. I'm sorry that you do not agree with this but these are the rules.

If you wish to share techniques and tips with our members please feel free to however you may not post your wares through WIP threads or finished products. There are ways for you to share without showing off your wares. If you're seeking the advice of other members then by all means ask your questions and you will hopefully receive your answers.

Also, having gleaned a lot of useful information over the past few months while lurking, I decided to donate to the site (a first for me). It was never acknowledged.
    I'm very sorry for not acknowledging your donation. I do try to do this as best I can and I'm sure many here would verify this fact yet I can't say that I do it every time as I'm sure that I don't. I will try to better handle this in the future.

+ Reply to Thread