Quantcast
Niolox/SB1 anyone? - Page 7
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Niolox/SB1 anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    TK...I can try and clean it up some....with your permission.
    The pics I've seen of some of your work look much better than mine. If you'd like to do that, be my guest but to be totally honest, it will probably be undergoing some modification once it makes it back home. Thanks.

I will not go too overboard on this, but will just post some general impressions. I used the knife on everything through easter weekend and probably put about 30 hours of use on it. I forgot to take measurement specs, but the knife is anorexic, in a good way...if you like that sort of thing.

Cosmetics: the scratches on the blade don't really bother me that much, it is going to get used anyway. The tang/ferrule fit was great, the handle was well put together, although there was a little shrinking in the wood causing the spacer to stand out, but that is easily fixed and almost expected. There are no gaps in the different handle junctions and everything is uniform. The spine was smooth, comfortable and as rounded as possible considering its size. Overall, good looking knife, (if you like that Wa style thing, good thing he makes western too).

Retention: Wow, I am blown away by the retention on this. I used it over Easter weekend and logged close to 30 hours. I touched it up once on a 5k and stropped daily and that was it. There was very little degeneration from a fresh edge even after half a shift of use. I would put the retention close to or better than AS.

Sharpenability:This sharpened up like a champ. I did not go through a full grit progression, but prior to sending it to Pabloz, I went through a 2k, followed by 5k, then balsa loaded CO. It raised a burr well on both grits and burr removal was not an issue.

Profile: The profile is the only thing I might alter a little, although it looks more upswept towards the tip than it feels. I might lower the tip just a bit, and call it good. I like the idea of a gyuto hybrid where it is not as tall as a normal gyuto.

Overall: Great knife, fun to play with, falls through food and has great retention. Personally, the knife is too thin for my taste, but it is something I am sure the maker could adjust.

Here is a pic of a profile shot, from top to bottom: Moritaka KS, Rottman gyuto, Fujiwara, and DT.

Here it is after touch up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0911w.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	6163Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0916w.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	6164Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0919w.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	6165

I hope it is acceptable. Put a new edge to 5K Chosera and CrO3 strop. This really is one sweet knife. It is thin...Laser thin at .077 or 1.97mm atop the heal. I really don't think I'll be putting it through any strenuous work much less a 30 hr. marathon.

PZ

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloz View Post
    Here it is after touch up.

Attachment 6163Attachment 6164Attachment 6165

I hope it is acceptable. Put a new edge to 5K Chosera and CrO3 strop. This really is one sweet knife. It is thin...Laser thin at .077 or 1.97mm atop the heal. I really don't think I'll be putting it through any strenuous work much less a 30 hr. marathon.

PZ
    Very nice job! What did you do to clean it up?

It does look a little nicer now........
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    Very nice job! What did you do to clean it up?
    Well worn 400 cork belt, WET @ +- 1500 SFPM, slack (no platen).

Looks good! Thanks, Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Hooray!
    Well Eamon here comes another. I'm gonna play just a little more but it should be out by Saturday to you by Tuesday. All your previous addy info still good?

Tinh...what amount did you want this insured for??

Left ABQ today for DFW. Enjoy Eamon.

Parting thoughts:
    I will miss this knife. It was fun! Sharpened really easily. Burr came up quick and fell of on the strop easily. That could be an indicator of a softer blade but since I really did not put it through any rigorous tasks edge degeredation was insignificant to me. My wife and Chef James also loved it. It was truely pleasurable and set a standard to aspire to.
    THANK YOU Tinh!!!!

PZ

Cool, I thought you solved the issue of how to come to Texas and mailed yourself in a crate.

+ Reply to Thread