Niolox/SB1 anyone?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I don't know how much interest there might be but I've had a few requests to try out a Niolox blade over the last few months. I recently bought a second quality blade from Rottman that I was thinking of refinishing/modifying and I thought I'd let some people play with it before I get too attached. As it stands, it is a right-handed ground 240 mm hybrid "gyuji" with a largish wa-handle at 62 ish hrc. He also made a left-handed version for himself with a crude, smallish western style handle that he agreed to let me borrow, if there are any lefties that are interested. Again, these are not meant to be representative of his work since they really aren't particularly well finished but it's an opportunity to try out a difficult to obtain steel.

I would like to try that right handed gyuji. Thanks, TK.

That's two righties and a lefty, unless I'm mistaken.

I'm a lefty, so I hope you mean two lefties and two righties :D

I'm a righty so is Pescy the other lefty??

Lefty here too... and also interested.

Damn all the lefties are coming out of the woodwork for this one.

A normal, err I mean right handed, version for me please.

Wow. Lots of lefties! Hey Chuck, I'm not sure you read the "smallish" handle part, lol. The handle on this one is probably going to completely disappear into your particular set of mitts.

I'll be contacting everyone who is interested next week to set the rules, get your contact information and figure out timing. If anyone else is interested, you've got a few more days to decide.

As much as I'd like to try it, I think I might have to pull my name from the "interested list". If I receive another mystery box of bladed devices, my wife might turn me into the cops!

Wow. Lots of lefties! Hey Chuck, I'm not sure you read the "smallish" handle part, lol. The handle on this one is probably going to completely disappear into your particular set of mitts.

hahah yes, I saw the smallish handle part you ass.

Well then, maybe you can ship it back to Germany direct from Sweden. :)

Alright! I the knives are off to chuck239 and JohnnyChance. The righty is going to heirkb then kalaeb then Pabloz. I think K-Fed gets the lefty next. I'm still waiting to hear back from some of the lefties.

Wait, so there is a non-lefty version? I think I misread this. I only abstained because I'm not a lefty.

Did I miss a perfectly good passaround? :crytissue:

Wait, so there is a non-lefty version? I think I misread this. I only abstained because I'm not a lefty.

Did I miss a perfectly good passaround? :crytissue:
Haha. There, there. I'll put you in after Pabloz.

I received the Rottman yesterday. Bringing it to work tmrw, sharpening and maybe cutting some stuff tonight as well. And if you are all lucky, some pictures as well.

I received the Rottman yesterday. Bringing it to work tmrw, sharpening and maybe cutting some stuff tonight as well. And if you are all lucky, some pictures as well.

So...... Pics? ;-)

Chuck's had the other one for a bit, as well...

I'll be sending it off soon. I will post some comments on it. But I must say, I will probably be buying a knife after using this.

-Chuck

Sounds good. I'm relieved I'm not the only one that likes this stuff. :)

Back