Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Honesuki vs Western boning knife for deboning split chicken breast

Honesuki vs Western boning knife for deboning split chicken breast

I want to start buying split chicken breasts and make my own boneless skinless chicken breasts to save money. Which is the better knife for this task? It seems like the curved tip and flexibility of a western boning knife like the victorinox would be better for getting between the meat and ribs. Compared to the straight stiff tip of the honesuki. Thoughts/advice? Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by G23G23 View Post
    I want to ...[buy a knife]...to save money. Which is the better knife for this task?

If that's all you're doing, your best bet is probably something like a Mercer or Victorinox boning knife. This is the Mercer I use. It's only $10 at the moment.

Deboning breasts is easily done with your thumb or another finger and some pulling

I have really been enjoying my forgecraft boning knife for whatever its worth.

It's personal preference. I usually just use a my hands to skin, and petty knife for a simple task of removing meat from bone. I've also used my honesuki and a Victorinox semi-flex boning knife—depending on my mood. You don't need a honesuki, but they'd do the job and are fun to have.

"...better knife for this task..." is subjective.

You can always use a Chinese cleaver:

Check these out for something different: https://warthercutlery.com/product/5-boning-knife/

I'm looking at the 7" slicer as it is about identical in profile to an old Japanese soft steel utility knife I love. The butcher knife looks decent also, like the Itonomon but of PM steel. Warther was also quite a character, and hey these are also American made. For the price all the yanks here should own one.