Quantcast
Tanaka blue #2 gyuto
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tanaka blue #2 gyuto

Tanaka blue #2 gyuto

The recent thread about the Aoki blue mono knife got me thinking about Tanaka's blue steel damascus gyuto. I have the petty (which I think is great), and just noticed that metalmaster has updated his site and has everything in stock again. My question is does anyone have this gyuto? At $150 for the 240 and a claimed weight of 150 grams i am sorely tempted. Interestingly the petty is $78 (same knife has recently been picked up by a well-known US retailer and is listed at $140).

What site sells this gyuto for $150? That sounds like a killer deal!

It is Takeshi's web site metalmaster-ww, or you can get it via his bay under Japanese-tools-metalmaster store name.

My experience with Tanaka's damascus knives can be summed up thusly: great cutters, look good, crappy/cheap handles. I'm actually quite tempted to pick up another one if my current rehandle projects go nicely. Not that I need another knife.... >.<

Yeah the 240 for $150 and the nakiri for $90 both seem like great deals to me. Are those handles octogon? It's hard for me to tell in the photo.

I happen to think my Tanaka gyutos - one in VG10, one in blue 2 - are really great for the $. I'd consider them the best bang & enjoyment for the dollar I've gotten.

I think they're really nicely made overall. They feel good in the hand, nice geometry, steel sharpens up really nicely. $150 in our world for a good knife is a helluva nice price. I say go for it. I got my Tanaka blue 240 from the metalmaster site as well.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Yeah the 240 for $150 and the nakiri for $90 both seem like great deals to me. Are those handles octogon? It's hard for me to tell in the photo.
    The 240 gyuto's octagon. I didn't expect that when I received the knife cuz I didn't even notice it in the photo.
    Len

Thanks for reminding me about takeshi's store. Just picked up a smallish Nakayama Karasu on the cheap.

just ordered 105 petty and 210 gyuto, anybody else have any experience with these?

i have a 210mm gyuto in blue 2 from tanaka and what i can say is its pretty reactive and it holds a very keen edge the f&f were mediocre so i burnt and polished the handle and eased the choil and spine and them i thinned it and now it cuts really really well and is a great carbon steel knife to have in busy kitchens