Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tanaka blue #2 gyuto

i love me blue steel.

The Tanaka 240 blue/damascus is probably the best bang for the buck knife for a <$200 new purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike9 View Post
    The Tanaka 240 blue/damascus is probably the best bang for the buck knife for a <$200 new purchase.
    +1 I have one and it takes/holds a great edge.

Chris

Been using my 210 Tanaka in blue 2 for about a week and I'm impressed with the value. The grind/geometry seems real good. Thin-ish but not a laser. Slides through food pretty darn well. With the extra weight over my Ginga it seems to be a better chopper, especially when just using the tip. I'm sort of torn, I really like my Ginga, and I think for slicing it is still better, but not by much, the extra weight of the Tanaka really helps it go through food with any sort of chopping motion. I do not like the Tanaka's profile though, I like flat-ish and somewhat parallel to the handle, the Tanaka is just a curve up up and away. Put some Sam Maloof poly/oil finish on the handle. I think for $130 this is a great intro Japanese knives, once I learn everything I like about it, it will definitely end up in a friend's hands.

Makes me wonder what combines the effortless slicing of the Ginga with some weight? A Shig is getting tempting...
    ~Brandon

I have had mine about a month or so and have really been enjoying it. Sharpens easily and just a lot of fun. It doesn't have the best food release that's my only complaint
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3864.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	140.9 KB 
ID:	15170  

Mike, I was hoping you'd tire of it and sell it to me, lol. I like your etch; very pronounced.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

are there any sharpening and/or grinding techniques to improve food release? that's pretty important to me. and i'm thinking of doing the hot vinegar etching process to form a full fledged patina. don't much care for the damascus, would prefer monosteel or a simple cladding like the ginsanko series.

I love my Tanaka 105 blue, gets scary sharp and hold the edge for ever.