Quantcast
Comparable to a DT ITK - Page 2
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparable to a DT ITK

Glestain might fit the bill. Either at Korin or JCK.

iirc: Jon added the Yoshihiro @ JKI to fill this "thin-but-not-too-thin-stainless" niche. It is wa handled though.

Interesting thread. Not to hijack, but how does the wa-handled ITK compare with wa handled gyutos like Tadatsuna, Suisin?

Heiji Semi Stainless 240 Gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by olpappy View Post
    Interesting thread. Not to hijack, but how does the wa-handled ITK compare with wa handled gyutos like Tadatsuna, Suisin?
    The two Japanese knives are much thinner. The ITK kind of have a convex grind, at least the one that I had, so the shoulder was a little thicker than I am used to with the Japanese. The ITK felt a lot like a Yoshikane SKD, maybe not as thick up to the spine, but the Yoshikane was a san mai forged.

Hmm, I wonder if yours was atypical? From the reviews I was reading on KF I would have thought the ITK was like a laser, or was it infatuation with the latest and greatest?

The ITK is definatley not a laser, not to say it is a bad knife... I just think the HD and even the Carbonext out perform it imo. I have been thinking about getting some calipers for some time now, if I get a chance I will buy some this weekend and get some measurements, although I would assume they are somewhere on the KF thread.

Sometimes you wonder if some of the reviews are the result of the hype, sometimes when you wait so long for something that everyone and their dog wants and has nothing but praise for it, you hesitate to say anything to the contrary for fear of reprisal from the group.

For the record, I am not selling mine, I like it, its just not my number 1, and it has in no way disinterested me in saving for a damascas DT.

No, it is not a "laser". It won't even begin to fit into a Tadatsuna or Konosuke HD saya. Here are some measurements:

Handle Length 143.00 mm
    Handle Height (f/r) 23.55 mm 27.00 mm
    Handle Width (f/r) 19.10 mm 23.30 mm
    Handle to Tip Length 241.50mm
    Heel to Tip Length 229.00mm
    Blade Height at Heel 47.90 mm
    Width of Spine at Handle 3.15mm
    Width of Spine Above heel 2.90mm
    Width of Spine at Middle 2.25mm
    Width of Spine about 1cm from the tip 0.70mm
    Blade Thickness at 1/2 way between the Spine and Edge 1.35mm
    Weight 189.0 g

I had an ITK from the first batch, but sold it because it was too thick for me(everything else was awesome).

Just like with everything else, it is all preference...I prefer the thinnest knife possible for my suji/gyutos, so I stick to Konosuke and Suisin. However, some people like a bit more substantial knife, so we would have varying views.

This is one of the reasons why just asking the "what knife to buy" question can easily steer people in the wrong direction. Just because a knife gets a lot of praise does not mean it is right for you.

Quote Originally Posted by olpappy View Post
    Hmm, I wonder if yours was atypical? From the reviews I was reading on KF I would have thought the ITK was like a laser, or was it infatuation with the latest and greatest?
    I had communicated with a couple of people about their ITK. Theirs were ground pretty well. Maybe it was mine that was a little thick. Granted, if someone doesn't have a point of reference to go by, the ITK may be fantastic. It is fantastically well fit and finish wise. However, I have gone through a lot of knives, just buying trying and selling what I don't like. I would compare the ITK most closely to the Yoshikane in terms of how the blade felt.

Plus I was doing a comparison between the Ichimonji TKC and the ITK, because I was only going to keep one. I am really impressed with the Ichi TKC. Superb steel, thin but tough. Takes a great edge, relatively easy to sharpen (easer than the AS super steel on the Hiromoto AS, as that is one of the other knives that I use on a regular basis). In the end, I wasn't going to keep the ITK, but would rather spend the money somewhere else (like stealing a 270mm Kijero Doi yanagiba #23 with ebony handle and ebony saya)