Quantcast
Comparable to a DT ITK
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Comparable to a DT ITK

Comparable to a DT ITK

With an unknown time table on when a DT ITK western handled knife will become available, I was wondering what other knifes are considered in the same ballpark.

I am not ready to make the leap to carbon, so only looking at stainless.

All suggestions appreciated,

Matt

I am really happy with my latest 240mm gyuto, a Miyabi Birchwood 5000 MCD 240mm. I have only had it for about a week, but I am really liking the blade geometry and handle. Need some more testing, hopefully Miyabi did as good of a job with SG2 as they did with VG10 in their Fusion line. So far it seems that way. $299 for the 240mm, no 270 is offered. I will be doing a full writeup soon.

Check the end of the DT ITK thread in the CKTG subforum on KF. Dave mentions he might be doing a pre order for the next batch of western itks.

Not stainless, but somewhat stainless would be any version of the TKC, whether be it from Ichimonji, or Japanesechefsknife (JKC) carbonext. I own the TKC and have used the Devin's ITK. I actually liked the TKC better so I sold the Devin.

What would be awsome is to get either the TKC or the carbonext and get Dave to put a an awsome handle on it.

I guess a konosuke hd would also be another worth considering.

Thanks Johnny, I will check that thread out. I see the pre-order on the wa handled ones right now.

Quote Originally Posted by jjparkinson View Post
    I guess a konosuke hd would also be another worth considering.
    +1 Jon@JKI said that he will be bringing in more western-handled Konosuke HD, I think this will be my 270.

I have a 240 western Ichimonji TKC (not Kikuichi) and I can vouch for it's outstanding performance. I also hate to say that it outperforms my western DT ITK especially on onions and tougher vegetables where I've found the ITK has a slight wedging issue. Anybody else find this a bit of a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    +1 Jon@JKI said that he will be bringing in more western-handled Konosuke HD, I think this will be my 270.

I have a 240 western Ichimonji TKC (not Kikuichi) and I can vouch for it's outstanding performance. I also hate to say that it outperforms my western DT ITK especially on onions and tougher vegetables where I've found the ITK has a slight wedging issue. Anybody else find this a bit of a problem?
    That was the exact reason why I sold the ITK. For some reason, my grind was not that good, or the distal taper design was not that good. I think it was more of the grind, because many others thought the blade was very thin at the shoulders. Mine was not, and I was disappointed after waiting for so long. I had to wait for the third batch, even though I was one of the early ones that paid for the second batch because it was oversold. Maybe it was luck of the draw.

Anyway, I had a good point of reference with the TKC. That's why I sold the ITK the next day.

I highly recommended the western handled HD—outstanding grind.

I am not sure the DT ITK and the HD are in the same ball park. Mine are very different knives, although both are 240 gyutos. The HD is very light, nimble and thin. The ITK is not, I am not bashing the ITK, I like it and it is a good knife with the best FF I have seen on any knife, but I think there lots of options in the same or less price range.

What exactely are you looking for in a knife? Thick, thin, work, home, carbon?

Most everything I have read about the DT ITK has been praise, so I love hearing the other side of peoples' experiences.

Home cook, looking for an everyday knife on the thinner side, but not a laser. I have a 270 Tojiro for heavier work. Stainless as I have not made the jump to carbon yet.