Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SALE - All U Need Strop Kit

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    To be truthful it's sort of splitting hairs here.
    Nothing stings like a pun.

Aren't there carbides in some steels, like VG-10 that are bigger than .25 micron? In that case, you wouldn't want to use a super aggressive compound like poly in a grit finer than that, or it would encourage carbide popout.

The smallest average carbide size I've heard of is on the order of 1 micron. Most stainless steels have much larger chromium carbide clusters, some on the order of a hundred microns. I have a feeling that strops don't really do a whole lot in terms of loss of carbides compared to embedding the edge in wood (or food) repeatedly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    To be truthful it's sort of splitting hairs here.
    Mmmmm that is what we do here no?

If I ever run low I'll definitely try the new stuff.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Yeah just don't ditch the 0.25mic to buy some of this new stuff as it's not necessary unless you're going to a new style leather pad. I definitely wouldn't advise buying it just to try.

Was there ever a workaround for the new pads with the old spray? I still have a full bottle left of the .25 micron stuff, and some of the new pads coming in.

Nah don't worry I won't, I still have quite a bit left from when I took your class like 14 months ago. Stuff lasts a while. But now if I did run out, would you advise against spraying the new stuff on my old felt and leather pads? Would I need fresh pads as not to mix the two together or does it not matter?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Nah don't worry I won't, I still have quite a bit left from when I took your class like 14 months ago. Stuff lasts a while. But now if I did run out, would you advise against spraying the new stuff on my old felt and leather pads? Would I need fresh pads as not to mix the two together or does it not matter?

The new stuff is backwards compatible so you're OK to use it on the felt pad and old style leather pad. Spraying over the old diamond stuff and mixing them together like this is not a problem.

The only issue is using the old spray with new style leather - that's no good.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Was there ever a workaround for the new pads with the old spray? I still have a full bottle left of the .25 micron stuff, and some of the new pads coming in.

You can't use the 0.25 mic spray with these new leather pads, the old spray will dry and curl the leather within a day or so.

Update>

I received word that the Lacewood bases will be replaced with a new heavier granite base in the future. This is a nice change in some ways but cost isn't one of them. The new base will add at least $20 to the price of the kits plus shipping will be more as well. This means that after these Lacewood bases/kits are sold there will not be anymore available and then the price will increase to approximately $120-130.

I'm bringing this up here as a heads up for you to get one of the Lacewood strop kits before they're gone and to get it now while its on sale.

Dave