Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cool trick.

Cool trick.

For pro chefs out there who have access to a sous-vide machine, if you need to soak a stone in under a minute, try vacuum sealing it in a bag with water. I've tried this with a Rika 5k and a Beston 500 and both worked a treat, even the very thirsty Beston! Its also fun to watch all of the air get punched out of the Beston in a couple of seconds.

I thought of this idea whilst using the sous-vide machine to compress fruit - watching the air rush out of my apple and the sugar syrup rush in.

I know its not hard to soak a stone, but I often find myself with just a few minutes to spare for a quick touch up between services.

Next thing you know, people will be sous-vide-ing their knives with stones in the bag. They come out tomato-test sharp!

Yeah - Or sous-vide-ing a new cutting board in mineral oil to get the oil infused quickly.......?

Quote Originally Posted by DeepCSweede View Post
    Yeah - Or sous-vide-ing a new cutting board in mineral oil to get the oil infused quickly.......?
    Or stabilising wood for handles.....

Besters are seriously thirsty stones. I've found if I use real light pressure the stones will stay wet longer. That and I just started presoaking them for over an hour.

You don't even need a bag you can use a half hotel pan with the stone and water in it then wrap the whole thing tightly with heavy duty plastic wrap. That way you don't waste a bag either.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by TB_London View Post
    Or stabilising wood for handles.....
    BTDT
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    You don't even need a bag you can use a half hotel pan with the stone and water in it then wrap the whole thing tightly with heavy duty plastic wrap. That way you don't waste a bag either.
    That would also work.

I just had another thought, sous-vide stones would also be good way of transporting permasoakers

I'd love to see this! That sounds really cool.

A sous vide machine does not pull vacuum. A vacuum pump (in a bag sealer, or a chamber) does.