Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name to put on knife

Thank you DrNaka, the wiki article was interesting, however I failed to glean much enlightenment from it! Is it possible to write "Cornelius" in japanese letters?
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

English to Japanese will always be an approximate transcription, as opposed to a direct transliteration (see here if you want to geek out). You can't write "Cornelius" or "Spike" directly, but you can write "Kouniriasu" and "Supaiku". Which, depending on your point of view, is either completely different or basically the same thing.

Well, the main thing was to see how my engraving would work on steel, and that was successful. The fact that what I engraved was basically gibberish does not detract from the quality of the engraving itself. I will be making more knives, so the next one will be something else, butt it remains to be seen what!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Thank you DrNaka, the wiki article was interesting, however I failed to glean much enlightenment from it! Is it possible to write "Cornelius" in japanese letters?
    I see.
    I realize that you "I failed to glean much enlightenment from it! "
    Otherwise you would not made the question:"Is it possible to write "Cornelius" in japanese letters?"

The answer to this question is no.
    But if you do not matter of same pronunciation コルネリウス or コーネリウス would be the katakana.