Konosuke Fujiyama gyuto - clad?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmccurtis

Reaction score
Are Konosuke's Fujiyama series gyutos clad? They look like they are, but someone wrote at some point that they are mono steel, which doesn't seem right. Can someone with experience with one speak a bit about how they perform? I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has experience with both a Fujiyama and a Mizuno as well.

Also, what's the height on the blade? They seem slightly different in profile from normal Konosukes, a little lower.

Cheers.

That's what I thought, thanks. Any other thoughts/experiences?

I recently picked up a funayuki konosuke hd. Ive found so far that I really prefer this new flatter edge compared to my other konosukes. I don't think they've made funayuki Fujiyamas but I think they should. If your interested maybe you should ask about the possibility of having them made. Where do you plan on getting your fujiyama from? The reason I ask is because they seem to be sold out right now. Atleast where I've looked.

I'm sure they would make a Fujiyama in whatever profile one might want. The Fujiyama does seem to be flatter, or at least narrower than their standard gyutos, at least from pictures. That's something I'd be curious to hear from someone who has one. I'm not really thinking about buying something yet, just inquiring right now. I've had Mizuno on my mind for a while now for some reason, and thought that if the Fujiyama was similar enough it might be a good, cheaper alternative. The Mizuno is somewhat thicker, though well ground. Really, I thought it would be interesting to try out a thicker, clad gyuto to complement my KS and standard Konosuke (whose profile I'm not terribly fond of).

Interesting...I wanted a mizuno for a while, but now I think I'm just going to grab a zakuri when they're restocked. I compared 240mm between the 2 and they weight the same but zakuri has little bigger spine and is over a 100 bucks less than the mizuno. I'm sure mizunos are awesome but I think zakuri will be better suited for me.

I just picked up a Kono. Fujiyama 240mm. Its a great knife. Its a little flat, but not like Moritaka. The blade is thin. I don't have any means of measuring the height or the thickness right now; I'll have to get back to you on that. Sharpens up very quickly and holds a very nice edge for a long time. Takes a slightly tan cloudy patina with a lot of blue mixed in. Its been fun using it for the last month, just glides through everything from chives to carrots to ribeyes.

Back