Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono

Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono

Hey folks,
    some of you have known that in addition to Shigefusa, I was considering a collaboration with Yoshikane Hamono. I am pleased to announced that Yoshikane would supply me with knives and I will customize them and offer them for sale. The knives will be sold under Marukoyoshi brand and will be in SKD-12 steel (semi stainless).

I ordered three sample knives made to custom thickness I requested. I got two - 240mm kasumi gyuto and 270mm damascus suji. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality, grind, and fit and finish. There are a few small things that need to be changed (I did that myself this time), and will be addressed in future orders, but overall, I think these are well rounded knives in good steel and at a good price.

270 Damascus suji is bespoken, a KU damascus suji should arrive in a few days and a gyuto is available. My web site is being worked on to accommodate new things, but once it's up, I will populate the store with things I make and knives I customize.

Here are some pictures before and after customization. The suji in the middle is KU suji. I haven't received it yet.

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very nice, Marko. I have a Yoshikane Tamamoku in Takefu V2 and I like it a lot.

Will you be putting the gyuto up in your store?

Rick

They look nice. Sounds like a good steel, too.

Stefan

Nice work on the handles like alway
    I have Yoshikane Suji special made in skd steel.
    SKD 12 is so fare best SS steel i ever try, very very easy to sharpen hold its edge forever and very easy to remove the burr. It is nr 1 knife in my restaurant now it cut like razor and stay that way very long time.
    I am very surprised with that steel i most say ! I used powder steel gyuto before that and it was pain to sharpen and chipet very often.
    So probably best steel for line in pro kitchen.
    So i order one gyuto too

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Nice work on the handles like alway
    I have Yoshikane Suji special made in skd steel.
    SKD 12 is so fare best SS steel i ever try, very very easy to sharpen hold its edge forever and very easy to remove the burr. It is nr 1 knife in my restaurant now it cut like razor and stay that way very long time.
    I am very surprised with that steel i most say ! I used powder steel gyuto before that and it was pain to sharpen and chipet very often.
    So probably best steel for line in pro kitchen.
    So i order one gyuto too
    Thanks guys. I don't plan swamping the market with Sanjo Maker knives, but I thought it would make a nice compliment (price-wise and in choice of steel) to Shigefusa and I am very found of makers who produce a knife from start to finishunder the same roof.

I was quite impressed with the workmanship, even though I ended up reshaping machi, so it is flush with the handle and gave the choil and heel area a little rounding so it feels nicely against the index finger. Dave can attest that working on a brand new knife making small modifications can be scary as hell, but everything went well.

Damascus on suji cladding is beautiful, but I would like the suji be a little thinner. I probably will end up thinning it for the person who purchased, but in the future orders I would like to do as little modification as possible.

Other than that, the fit and finish is very good, grind is very even without low spots, both knives are a bit heavier than thin knives like Konosuke HD, but I found that weight can be balanced off by a larger handle. Gyuto felt very comfortable in my hand, and I am sure I would have enjoyed using it.

SKD12 is the core steel on kasumi clad and SKD11 on damascus clad.

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Stunning.

Best wishes on your sales...

I think you've just found yourself a winner their Marko.

Could you give me a rough price for what a 240 kasumi gyuto would likely cost? PM me if you need to.

Where do I sign up?
    Me want now

Looks good Marko! Always nice to have options.