Quantcast
Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono

Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono

Hey folks,
    some of you have known that in addition to Shigefusa, I was considering a collaboration with Yoshikane Hamono. I am pleased to announced that Yoshikane would supply me with knives and I will customize them and offer them for sale. The knives will be sold under Marukoyoshi brand and will be in SKD-12 steel (semi stainless).

I ordered three sample knives made to custom thickness I requested. I got two - 240mm kasumi gyuto and 270mm damascus suji. Overall, I am satisfied with the quality, grind, and fit and finish. There are a few small things that need to be changed (I did that myself this time), and will be addressed in future orders, but overall, I think these are well rounded knives in good steel and at a good price.

270 Damascus suji is bespoken, a KU damascus suji should arrive in a few days and a gyuto is available. My web site is being worked on to accommodate new things, but once it's up, I will populate the store with things I make and knives I customize.

Here are some pictures before and after customization. The suji in the middle is KU suji. I haven't received it yet.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very nice, Marko. I have a Yoshikane Tamamoku in Takefu V2 and I like it a lot.

Will you be putting the gyuto up in your store?

Rick

They look nice. Sounds like a good steel, too.

Stefan

Nice work on the handles like alway
    I have Yoshikane Suji special made in skd steel.
    SKD 12 is so fare best SS steel i ever try, very very easy to sharpen hold its edge forever and very easy to remove the burr. It is nr 1 knife in my restaurant now it cut like razor and stay that way very long time.
    I am very surprised with that steel i most say ! I used powder steel gyuto before that and it was pain to sharpen and chipet very often.
    So probably best steel for line in pro kitchen.
    So i order one gyuto too

Quote Originally Posted by maxim View Post
    Nice work on the handles like alway
    I have Yoshikane Suji special made in skd steel.
    SKD 12 is so fare best SS steel i ever try, very very easy to sharpen hold its edge forever and very easy to remove the burr. It is nr 1 knife in my restaurant now it cut like razor and stay that way very long time.
    I am very surprised with that steel i most say ! I used powder steel gyuto before that and it was pain to sharpen and chipet very often.
    So probably best steel for line in pro kitchen.
    So i order one gyuto too
    Thanks guys. I don't plan swamping the market with Sanjo Maker knives, but I thought it would make a nice compliment (price-wise and in choice of steel) to Shigefusa and I am very found of makers who produce a knife from start to finishunder the same roof.

I was quite impressed with the workmanship, even though I ended up reshaping machi, so it is flush with the handle and gave the choil and heel area a little rounding so it feels nicely against the index finger. Dave can attest that working on a brand new knife making small modifications can be scary as hell, but everything went well.

Damascus on suji cladding is beautiful, but I would like the suji be a little thinner. I probably will end up thinning it for the person who purchased, but in the future orders I would like to do as little modification as possible.

Other than that, the fit and finish is very good, grind is very even without low spots, both knives are a bit heavier than thin knives like Konosuke HD, but I found that weight can be balanced off by a larger handle. Gyuto felt very comfortable in my hand, and I am sure I would have enjoyed using it.

SKD12 is the core steel on kasumi clad and SKD11 on damascus clad.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Stunning.

Best wishes on your sales...

I think you've just found yourself a winner their Marko.

Could you give me a rough price for what a 240 kasumi gyuto would likely cost? PM me if you need to.

Where do I sign up?
    Me want now

Looks good Marko! Always nice to have options.