Quantcast
Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Introducing Marukoyoshi by Yoshikane Hamono

KU line looks good. What is the difference between the first suji and this one? Did you specify the 2 different lines, or was this more like a sample or what they could provide?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    KU line looks good. What is the difference between the first suji and this one? Did you specify the 2 different lines, or was this more like a sample or what they could provide?
    KU suji is thinner, but the bevels are a bit more pronounced - I think it has to do with preserving the KU finish. Great distal taper. This would I would consider a laser suji given the thinness and the grind.
    It's 265mm on the edge and 280mm from handle to tip. It weights 125g without a handle.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    They look nice. Sounds like a good steel, too.
    SKD12 steel is Japanese equivalent of AISI A2 steel. Not SS though, just 4.5% Cr. But I figure most of use never really care about SS.

In general A2 is known for toughness in large, heavy duty blades, but if hardness is high, it can be a very solid performer in light cutters too, because it resists chipping mucho better than SKD11(D2). CPM 3V, which is also popular choice in large blades due to its toughness, performs superbly in thin utility knife at 62HRC, one of the reasons I am counting on SKD12 high performance.

I haven't yet tried A2 or SKD12 at hardness close to max, sadly most of the production knives out there are anywhere from 55HRC (CRK knives) to about 59HRC, and as far as I know, A2 can go 61-62HRC, and unlike other steels, it has better toughness at 60+ hardness than in 55-57HRC range.
    Given Yoshikane's HT for SKD11, where they go all they way to the max, I'd hope they'll do the same for SKD12 or A2.

Those knives look sick. KU Damascus!?!?!? I didn't know such a wonderful thing even existed. That is evil. You are bad for my knife buying recovery attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattias504 View Post
    Those knives look sick. KU Damascus!?!?!? I didn't know such a wonderful thing even existed. That is evil. You are bad for my knife buying recovery attempt.
    Well, it is last of the three available. Shoot me a pm if interested.

M

An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made, in a narrow field.
    -Niels Bohr

Any chance you will have examples of these at ECG?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Any chance you will have examples of these at ECG?
    Hmm... Looks like I won't be bringing it. Sold just minutes ago.

M

-Niels Bohr

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Hmm... Looks like I won't be bringing it. Sold just minutes ago.

M
    I might bring kasumi gyuto instead.

-Niels Bohr

Doh! I wanted to check out one of those KU suji's. Next purchase I think needs to be a semi or full stainless 270 wa suji.

I will be ordering Kasumi and regular damascus suji in the next week or so. I will order more KU suji if there is at least 2 people interested. I have to order 3 of each.

M

-Niels Bohr

+ Reply to Thread