Quantcast
Anyone Interested in Learning Technique With Me?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone Interested in Learning Technique With Me?

Anyone Interested in Learning Technique With Me?

Ok, first of all I am talking about cooking technique in general and not exclusively cutting technique.

Also, I am not provoking the pro chefs out there, but mostly the amateurs among us (though both are welcomed). Stefan started a thread about a cookbook recipe challenge which I have diligently kept up, but part of me would like to downgrade the weekly demand to a monthly one. Sorry.

Today I just received Pepin's Complete Techniques cookbook and was wondering if anyone was interested in learning technique -- month by month. One technique per month.

I'm suggesting anything: sauces, hydrocolloids, meringue, cheese, butter, tournee of whatever...anything. Something basic. If you are interested, reply...if not, I will continue drinking my bottle of wine and do it on my own.

Anyhow...one of the best days of my cooking life was the day I learned to make my own butter from cream. It was the best butter ever...until I tried beurre Bordier that is...but that is another story.

If 12 people are interested, then we can all pick a technique. More are welcome. Show of hands.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Hmmm...when are you thinking of starting?

Feb.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I'd be up for it.

Maybe...how is the book? I just got "burned" by a cookbook (0 for 3 of their recipes), and am looking to jump into something else...

I'd be up for this. I need a little inspiration.

Quote Originally Posted by unkajonet View Post
    Maybe...how is the book? I just got "burned" by a cookbook (0 for 3 of their recipes), and am looking to jump into something else...
    I haven't checked it out much yet -- only had it a handful of hours, but it does have a boat load of technique I would never use and a lot of others I could see using.

k.

It's Jacque Pepin what do you think? Of course it's good. I have been very fortunate in my career to cook for him several times and with him once and he is the man. a true chef in every sense of the word. That book is a classic and one of the very first books to bring the Technique aspect of French cooking to America.

I meant no offense

I actually love his show on pbs. I was just wondering if it transferred to his books...

No sense trying to save face, unka. The damage is done.

+ Reply to Thread