Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade chicken stock

Here is an interesting comparison between stock made with a pressur cooker and a traditional stock.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11...-got-schooled/

Do you have to worry about a boil in the crock pot? I always thought for stocks you wanted just barely a simmer. My crock pot only has low and high and low still seems to bring a soup to boil.

-AJ

My wife does this every week! its great

Very interesting article! I do stock with some frequency, and may look into this further.

Quote Originally Posted by dbesed View Post
    Here is an interesting comparison between stock made with a pressur cooker and a traditional stock.

http://www.cookingissues.com/2009/11...-got-schooled/
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    Do you have to worry about a boil in the crock pot? I always thought for stocks you wanted just barely a simmer. My crock pot only has low and high and low still seems to bring a soup to boil.

-AJ
    My low does not boil on my stock pot. There also is no foam on top to skim like traditional stock.

I'll try it this weekend. Looks easier than a stockpot to transfer.

I made a killer Duck Stock over christmas. Bought a bunch of ducks to make duck tamales, rendered the lard and made the stock for the masa. They came out amazing and still have lots of lard and stock left.

try changing leek with mushroom

Duck stock is one plentiful ingredient in my kitchen, goes in as white or dark stock, jus, then bigarade sauce, mixed with remouillage for braises, etc I love the stuff. If you're doing a straight white stock, i love to add the herbs and spices just in the last ~30, no longer, heavy on the parsley.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    Very interesting article! I do stock with some frequency, and may look into this further.
    Very interesting, however I have to disagree with the author and agree with his interns. He is comparing apples to oranges when he dilutes the conventionally made stock so that the volumes are equal. I am unsure as to why he thinks that the only way to accurately compare the two methods is to end up with the same amount of stock, when it is the taste he is trying to evaluate. If he wants to do that, he should dilute the pressure cooker stock by the same percentage and then compare.