Quantcast
Homemade chicken stock - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Homemade chicken stock

Anyone have a recipe for lamb stock? I've got some bones just begging to be used.

Whose would you prefer, White, Thuet, Roux or Ramsay?

Nice job on the stock,I will try that. I save my onion skins for my Chix stock- adds a nice yellow color.

Quote Originally Posted by Michel Roux View Post

1.5KG scrag end, breast or lower best end of lamb, skin and fat removed, cut into pieces

150 G carrots, cut into rounds

100G onions, coarsly chopped

250ml dry white wine

4 tomatoes, peeled. deseeded and chopped

2 garlic cloves

1 bouquet garni including 2 sprigs of tarragon and celery stalk

6 white peppercorns

Preheat oven to 220 degrees C. Put the pieces of lamb on the roasting tray and brown in the hot oven, turning them from time to time with a slotted spoon. [old fart even tells you what kinda spoon you should use].

When the lamb has coloured, add the carrots and onions, mix togethr and cook for another 5 minutes. Still using the slotted spoon, transfer all the content of the roasting pan to a large saucepan or casserole.

Pour off the fat from the tray, deglaze with the white wine and reduce by half. Pour the reduced wine into the saucepan with lamb, add 2.5L cold water and bring to boil over high heat.

As soon as the liquid boils, reduce the heat so that the surface is barely trembling.

Simmer for ten minutes, then skim the surface and add all the other ingredients.

Simmer uncovered, for 1.5 hours. Skimming the surface as necessary.

Strain the stock through fine-mesh conical sieve into a bowl and cool ass quickly ass possible

Thanks.

I've never been a fan of pouring a third of a bottle of wine into a stock. I mean I only do this to not be wasteful, but tossing that much wine in seems more wasteful to me. Obvious exceptions for when I have cheap wine kicking around.

+ Reply to Thread