Quantcast
Suehiro Rika 5000x WaterStone w/base - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suehiro Rika 5000x WaterStone w/base

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    So, which grit SS would be closest to the speed of the Rika? 3000 maybe? I really like the Rika but a splash-and-go equivalent would be mighty tempting...
    It's soft like a Superstone. I use it interchangeably with the 3kSS although I think it does cut faster than the SS. If I had to choose a 5k splash n go, I would go with the new Gesshin 5k. I love this stone. I've been going from Gesshin 1k to 5k to strop for the time being and I'm really liking the results. The Gesshins are a bit harder, dish slowly (like Choseras) and less muddy. They cut fast and I haven't had any glazing issues. The 5k appeared to cut Akifusa (HRC 62-64) and ZDP-189 kinda slow but I'm not sure what doesn't other than diamond, which is not nice, btw.

Honestly, I don't care so much about finish as about speed (of course, if I can get a better finish with the same speed, that's a bonus) so it sounds like I'd have to do down to a 2kSS to match the Rika. I like the idea of the Gesshin 1k & 5k, but I'm looking for something between those grits... Jon, how about sourcing a splash & go 2-3k?

Quote Originally Posted by spaceconvoy View Post
    Honestly, I don't care so much about finish as about speed (of course, if I can get a better finish with the same speed, that's a bonus) so it sounds like I'd have to do down to a 2kSS to match the Rika. I like the idea of the Gesshin 1k & 5k, but I'm looking for something between those grits... Jon, how about sourcing a splash & go 2-3k?
    this answer would be getting a little too "business-ey"... see your pm's

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    this answer would be getting a little too "business-ey"... see your pm's
    That's no fun... If he gets one, I want one, too.

Haha, corporate espionage. I feel like I'm in the Pelican Brief

The short answer is, no, there's nothing like what I'm looking for... for now at least