Quantcast
Interesting Carter Selection
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Carter Selection

Interesting Carter Selection

This is just a little update for my fellow Carter lovers out there. Murray has some pretty cool knives up right now, including some beautiful marble corian (if you like the look of it), and some nice Vera wood handles as well.
    Obviously I'm not affiliated with him, I'm just a huge fan of his work.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

http://www.cartercutlery.com/japanes...gozai-funayuki

Is anything other than high grade from carter really worth the price?

The knife you linked to is, quite honestly, one of the best buys you can get. If it were a 6.4 sun, you'd be paying only a few dollars more ($240ish), while a 6.5 sun jumps to just under $340, and you hardly get any more blade length. The SFGZ line gives you a great blade, with a basic handle and less polish throughout. The cutting ability, however, is classic Carter.
    09/06

Some even prefer the cutting performance of the SFGZ over the HG series. Plus you get the added bonus of having an excuse to get a custom handle for it.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I'd agree with Lefty. I had a small Kuro Carter that was very roughly finished and you could pick out a lot of faults in it if you looked at it. If you buy knives primarily for looks then you would not want to buy the knife I had, but I've done A LOT of cutting, chopping and slicing and 240-265mm being my preferred size i would still go back to the Carter for pure performance and it was probably 6.5 inches on the blade I would guess. I am guessing it takes less time and money to produce the lower end knives so he can sell them cheaper giving more people an opportunity to use his knives. Some may argue that he shouldn't put out a rough product (talking his lower lines) but if someone uses a Carter that doesn't perform I'd like to see video of it. It's one thing he seems to do well on all of his lines.

I think Lefty is right with saying that's a "best buy". Think what you want but the guy knows how to make a blade and to boot he hand wrote a letter to me with my knife which was a gift for my birthday, (which I since passed on to a good friend of mine) and I believe it was written by him and was heart felt. Just my observations.

Kind Regards

Bryan

Thanks for the heads up Lefty. I check out Carter's website pretty often, but hadn't noticed this new crop. Lots of cool boning knives. And I like the Corian handles too.

Does Carter ever put a "MS" stamp on any of his work? Maybe just full customs? I like his plain "Carter" stamp, just curious.

This came up before, and I think that Murray has to forge the knife from "scratch" rather than work from a laminated sheet of stock to be able to put the "MS" mark on it. I may be wrong, but I think his damascus blades fall into this category.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny.B.Good View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Lefty. I check out Carter's website pretty often, but hadn't noticed this new crop. Lots of cool boning knives. And I like the Corian handles too.

Does Carter ever put a "MS" stamp on any of his work? Maybe just full customs? I like his plain "Carter" stamp, just curious.

Carter is like a low-end hooker on speed. Its dirty, its filthy, its ugly but it does the work with skills and max performance.

I actually love the look of the majority of his knives. Don't get me wrong, I love pimped out knives too, but I like that I'm not afraid to really work a Carter. He manages to make a clean, yet rustic knife and I appreciate the result. Besides, it allows us to play around with handle styles, etc.
    09/06

We all love that dirty hooker Lefty.
    Even when married to a classic beauty or a victoria secret angel, there will be times you just want to go down to the corner for a quickie with that ugly filthy babe....
    Thats how men work...

+ Reply to Thread