Interesting Carter Selection

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
This is just a little update for my fellow Carter lovers out there. Murray has some pretty cool knives up right now, including some beautiful marble corian (if you like the look of it), and some nice Vera wood handles as well.
Obviously I'm not affiliated with him, I'm just a huge fan of his work.

The knife you linked to is, quite honestly, one of the best buys you can get. If it were a 6.4 sun, you'd be paying only a few dollars more ($240ish), while a 6.5 sun jumps to just under $340, and you hardly get any more blade length. The SFGZ line gives you a great blade, with a basic handle and less polish throughout. The cutting ability, however, is classic Carter.

Some even prefer the cutting performance of the SFGZ over the HG series. Plus you get the added bonus of having an excuse to get a custom handle for it.

I'd agree with Lefty. I had a small Kuro Carter that was very roughly finished and you could pick out a lot of faults in it if you looked at it. If you buy knives primarily for looks then you would not want to buy the knife I had, but I've done A LOT of cutting, chopping and slicing and 240-265mm being my preferred size i would still go back to the Carter for pure performance and it was probably 6.5 inches on the blade I would guess. I am guessing it takes less time and money to produce the lower end knives so he can sell them cheaper giving more people an opportunity to use his knives. Some may argue that he shouldn't put out a rough product (talking his lower lines) but if someone uses a Carter that doesn't perform I'd like to see video of it. It's one thing he seems to do well on all of his lines.

I think Lefty is right with saying that's a "best buy". Think what you want but the guy knows how to make a blade and to boot he hand wrote a letter to me with my knife which was a gift for my birthday, (which I since passed on to a good friend of mine) and I believe it was written by him and was heart felt. Just my observations.

Kind Regards

Bryan

Thanks for the heads up Lefty. I check out Carter's website pretty often, but hadn't noticed this new crop. Lots of cool boning knives. And I like the Corian handles too.

Does Carter ever put a "MS" stamp on any of his work? Maybe just full customs? I like his plain "Carter" stamp, just curious.

This came up before, and I think that Murray has to forge the knife from "scratch" rather than work from a laminated sheet of stock to be able to put the "MS" mark on it. I may be wrong, but I think his damascus blades fall into this category.

Rick

Thanks for the heads up Lefty. I check out Carter's website pretty often, but hadn't noticed this new crop. Lots of cool boning knives. And I like the Corian handles too.

Does Carter ever put a "MS" stamp on any of his work? Maybe just full customs? I like his plain "Carter" stamp, just curious.

Carter is like a low-end hooker on speed. Its dirty, its filthy, its ugly but it does the work with skills and max performance.

I actually love the look of the majority of his knives. Don't get me wrong, I love pimped out knives too, but I like that I'm not afraid to really work a Carter. He manages to make a clean, yet rustic knife and I appreciate the result. Besides, it allows us to play around with handle styles, etc.

We all love that dirty hooker Lefty.
Even when married to a classic beauty or a victoria secret angel, there will be times you just want to go down to the corner for a quickie with that ugly filthy babe....
Thats how men work...

We all love that dirty hooker Lefty.
Even when married to a classic beauty or a victoria secret angel, there will be times you just want to go down to the corner for a quickie with that ugly filthy babe....
Thats how men work...

I simply love it.... Regarding performace. .......... Of the knife....

Why do people seem so happy with such short carters? Seriously, 4.5 sun? It's almost a paring knife. His full size knives are like $500. Just wondering why this crowd, typically fans of bigger knives, like the idea of a 170mm funayuki, regardless of price. My 210 at work gets petty duty.

LMAO, I needed a good laugh. I'm with Eamon, LMFAO

PS ... Eamon I find it's just a performance thing. I mean I feel the same about my Sugi that's around 195mm. I go to it all the time as well. It's just got that profile and performance that makes things like cutting an onion a thing of beauty. And it's quicker than using a 240-270 when I time it and though I might do two of something at once with a larger, getting done faster still ends up with about the same prep time. I have said it in a thread with Timthebeaver and we both agreed there is probably handfuls "technical" reasons other knives are better, yet we find our way to our 195mm Sugimotos.

Like a hot midget to stay on O's humor ... haha ... normally we prefer taller, longer, but there is just something about her!

That's why I finally ended up placing a custom order. As far as SFGZ, he seems to make either 150mm-ish knives or huge 290mm ones. Carters smaller knives might be awesome, but I've already got the 150-210 range covered with knives that I'm more than happy with.

Why do people seem so happy with such short carters? Seriously, 4.5 sun? It's almost a paring knife. His full size knives are like $500. Just wondering why this crowd, typically fans of bigger knives, like the idea of a 170mm funayuki, regardless of price. My 210 at work gets petty duty.

Because those are the cheaper ones and ones that are regularly available for sale without going on his wait list. So people get those and find out that smaller knives can be useful too, especially at home.

Eamon,

That's why the SFGZ series is the value line. A 240mm funayuki or gyuto is in the neighborhood of $350.

Rick

I think the Avatar is appropriate also...
Now, back to Carters: I think Murray's pricing has made a lot of us realize what is possible with a smaller knife. His ~ 5-6 sun knives are like a gateway drug. He gives us a taste, we fall in love, NEED to get more, and preferably in our "favourite" size. We then acquire one...or four and still remember the first time. Basically, we chase the dragon, and realize that it was the small knife that did it to us all along.
PS. This thread has taken a really strange turn. Haha

Yea that's what happens when you let O' drive. He will take you down the back alleys if you're not careful. Not saying there is anything wrong with that, just saying it. Ha

I love my Carter as well.
I tried to dress her up and make her look good, but deep down I know what kind of girl she is....

6030019465_76847138e5_b.jpg

I USE her a lot, especially for those dirty tasks...

My first J-knife was a 270mm Carter HG with an ebony handle. I rather like the looks of it (polished but not too polished), and love the performance.

I have been looking at that 6.3 wa bocho for week. Anyone used te wabocho? How do they feel?

LMAO, I needed a good laugh. I'm with Eamon, LMFAO

PS ... Eamon I find it's just a performance thing. I mean I feel the same about my Sugi that's around 195mm. I go to it all the time as well. It's just got that profile and performance that makes things like cutting an onion a thing of beauty. And it's quicker than using a 240-270 when I time it and though I might do two of something at once with a larger, getting done faster still ends up with about the same prep time. I have said it in a thread with Timthebeaver and we both agreed there is probably handfuls "technical" reasons other knives are better, yet we find our way to our 195mm Sugimotos.

Like a hot midget to stay on O's humor ... haha ... normally we prefer taller, longer, but there is just something about her!

The handle on the 195 sugi makes a Carter SFGZ look high end. Still, i find no reason to replace it - it is functional and I wouldn't want to change the balance of the knife, which is filled with subtle "rightness".:doublethumbsup:

Back