Quantcast
Boardsmith vs all others
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boardsmith vs all others

Boardsmith vs all others

I know everyone here likes to say boardsmith is simply the best. I have no experience and they look great, but I get the feeling shipping to Canada isn't going to be that fun. Was looking at getting something like this:
    skinny:http://toshoknifearts.com/shop/acces...24-x-18-x-1-12
    fat:http://toshoknifearts.com/shop/acces...24-x-18-x-3-34

Am I going to regret this? Should I just get a sanituff instead?

As I am sure others are typing as I am responding to this, that is an edge (side?) grain board rather than an end grain board like the boardsmith. A lot of people swear by end grain since you are not slicing the grains of the board like you do in an edge grain. Edge you cut between the fibers, edge you cut across them.

Love my Boardsmith, but if you are that concerned about shipping costs, isn't there a Canadian maple company that does end grain boards?

Most people here prefer end grain to side grain. You should be able to find a place in Canada that makes end grain boards. Are there Etsy craftsman in Canada? I know Pierre has made a few boards. Im sure our other canadian members will chime in with solutions.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by mc2442 View Post
    As I am sure others are typing as I am responding to this, that is an edge (side?) grain board rather than an end grain board like the boardsmith. A lot of people swear by end grain since you are not slicing the grains of the board like you do in an edge grain. Edge you cut between the fibers, edge you cut across them.

Love my Boardsmith, but if you are that concerned about shipping costs, isn't there a Canadian maple company that does end grain boards?
    I already emailed the shop to see if the mill has end grain boards. I don't see why they wouldn't..I see the mill's website has end-grain "other stuff".

Basically...I know everyone says Boardsmith is best of the best. However, knowing nothing really about boards...i want to know why.
    Is it a) quality of the wood and the knowing only the very best pieces are used during construction? I mean no doubt they look beautiful.
    b) The glue and skill used to hold it all together is much better than others?

If its the first, I don't mind skimping out as I'm paying less. If its the second, I'd rather pay more than risk having to replace a board 2 years down the line (assuming it isn't abused).

And boardsmith is not totally out of the running...I don't like shipping stuff across the border but if I do pull the trigger I will ship within the US and pick it up the next time I'm there. Its just a lot less hassle to buy locally...I'm just nervous I'll end up with something I regret a couple years later.

Also what is the difference between something like this and boardsmith
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...7/product.html

Again, I'm not trying to offend the vendor here or anything...just trying to understand the product a bit before I purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Also what is the difference between something like this and boardsmith
    http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden...7/product.html

Again, I'm not trying to offend the vendor here or anything...just trying to understand the product a bit before I purchase.
    Dave uses bigger blocks, so less glue and less movement. The way he constructs, assembles and treats his wood are also carefully designed to perform as best as a board can. I would imagine Dave is more selective when choosing wood to use as well. His shop is a two man operation, craftsmanship will be vastly superior to a factory made board, as would quality control.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Alright, all very compelling and makes sense to me.

I am still pretty new to things, but since a lot of people are probably asleep....I think it is part of both. They are very attractive to look at, but he also uses bigger blocks and less glue, which is suppose to be better on the edges.

I am sure there are a lot of great boards by other makers out there, but I can say I am a big fan of my Boardsmith. Probably the same with knives, we pay quite a bit more for a slimmer and slimmer margin of quality. If so many knife knuts swear by something, over time, you start to believe the hype, and when you get a quality product in return for your money, you see nothing to dispute the claims of others.

Edit: What he said while I was typing

Quote Originally Posted by slowtyper View Post
    Alright, all very compelling and makes sense to me.
    The FAQ page on the Boardsmith site is worth a read:

http://www.theboardsmith.com/purchase.htm

Might just shoot him a PM here and ask about shipping to Canada. Maybe it's not that bad. And his prices seem pretty reasonable all things considered. A nice hand crafted board from an exceedingly nice and well respected craftsman. Worth a few dollars more to me for the personal touch and forum connection alone.

Fully agree. This is a typical case where I would be willing to pay more because I know that David fully stands behind his products and a lot of thought and experience goes into his products. I also prefer to support craftsmen over large companies if I can. The fact that you don't even have to pay more for his products than for others makes this a no-brainer to me. I have two of his boards and I never looked back. They are so sturdy that I can't even think of anything I could complain about. Clearly a lifetime investment. And I don't say this because I have met him and he is a really very nice person, the products just stand for themselves.

Stefan