Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What would you be doing..

What would you be doing..

If you were not doing your current job?

I've been in the restaurant industry for around 14 yrs. But if that didn't work out, I'd like to work in an antique bookstore. I collect more books than I do knives and I love worlds that books reveal.

Dream job or realistically speaking? I wouldn't mind working in a bookstore either. I was an English major in school and have a massive collection of books. I plugged this site in another thread once, but check out "www.librarything.com" if you find yourself with more books than you know what to do with.

Dream job would be to work as an artist (I like pastels and oil painting). Working in the restaurant industry sounds fun too, but it also sounds like awfully hard work, and maybe not always "fun."

Realistically speaking, I suppose I would go back to real estate (I made construction loans before people stopped building houses!).

i've thought about becoming a professional sharpener in Japan (i.e. apprenticing to someone and the whole thing), but its hard work and money would not have to be an issue in my life... also, i love what i do.

I also really miss cooking professionally... i guess i wouldnt mind going back to that if i wasnt doing this.

Total dream job... Food Critic. I love eating

Quote Originally Posted by tkern View Post
    If you were not doing your current job?

I've been in the restaurant industry for around 14 yrs. But if that didn't work out, I'd like to work in an antique bookstore. I collect more books than I do knives and I love worlds that books reveal.
    That sounds good to me! I love the smell of old books. Restoration might be fun too.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

If I wasn't in the kitchen I wouldn't mind being a traveling bluesman. Just me, an old Harmony archtop guitar, hoehner harmonica, stetson hat and a box to stomp on as a drum. I used to play music full time before I had to get "real" and the only place worth returning to was the kitchen haha. In my next life I'd wanna be a boxer, It's the Puerto Rican in me.

Interesting question I have been thinkinga bout a lot because my contract ends in the summer and I need to find a new job anyway. But I really like what I do as a university professor. I enjoy research (well, except for the grant pressure) as well as teaching smart graduate and doctoral students, and I like translating my knowledge in science into work that helps communities. Unfortunately, there are always just a handlful of jobs like that out there nationally, and the competition is fierce - especially for someone who has not gone his way through the US system.

Alternatives? I would love to do more trainings for professionals and community agencies, but they never have money to pay me... I could also see myself as a director of a foundation that awards research money in the health sciences. Maybe I should call Bill Gates and see if his foundation is hiring...

Of course, there was a time when I wanted to run a small restaurant, but over time I have learned that this is a recipe for disaster, and I have much to much respect for the hard workers in the business to meddle in that as an amateur.

Full time wood working would be a 180 degree turn from everything I did in my life, i.e. from academia to honest work But I am really only an amateur, so I don't think I could survive.

Just rambling, but if I haven't found another job in academia by April/May, I will be in real trouble and may be forced to just follow the money. Getting screwed with contract renewals is no fun...

Stefan

I'm doing what I want to be doing, at the pace the Lord brings me to it. But if I got hit by a bus and couldn't do this stuff anymore, I'd be writing. I still plan on writing heavily again in the future. I've just got no time for it now.

If I wasn't a Chef what would I be doing? Ideally I'd be a Chartered Planning Consultant because I spend 4 years studying it at University and I have a pretty good qualification in it. Sadly with a recession and nobody building anything there is no need for any planners. I've thought of moving country even Continent and it seems to be the same everywhere, it is pretty much a dying profession. I always imagined that's what I'd be doing so it is a little hard to get used to the idea of being a Chef for the rest of my life

I'm lucky, in that I landed my dream job and it is everything I had hoped (knock on wood). I get to play with big hydraulic tools, axes, haligans and carry a knife, all to help out the general public. To make things even better, I get to cook when I want to, for a bunch of hungry and appreciative guys.
    I wasted away in factories for long enough, and I really appreciate my career...smoked out, puked, pissed, and bled on or not, it's better than anything else (again, knock on wood).
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I would probably go back to sculpting, probably continue with the woodworking and metalsmithing. jewelry making again. be a renaissance man.lol