A rare opportunity.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PierreRodrigue

Reaction score
It doesn't happen very often in the world of forums, and internet international sales. I had the chance last night to invite a forum member in, to look at knives, choose a profile in person, then I took him to the shop, and showed him several pieces in various states of completion. We discussed different stainless options, damascus (got to show how it starts, to a finished billet, did a rough grind and test etch while he watched!) In the end he chose a carbon steel for his new suji, he also got to root through my pile of wood, and hand selected a set of scales.

As a maker it is VERY cool to talk with a customer face to face, let them handle knives, see the different options, then see him smile as he realizes he's figured out what he wants. With so many options as far as makers go, and countless possibilities as far as design goes, to have the oppertunity to talk face to face, and help a customer decide on a knife in person, is a rare thing indeed lately.

I just wanted to share this experience, and to let any perspective custom knife customer know, its ok to look up your favorite maker, and ask to "pop" by for a chat. If you can, make an effort to do just that, its something you both will enjoy.

Pierre

That is cool.

But I was under the impression that your shop looked like the set of The Thing right now.

Eamon, I just want to point out that no one has heard from that KKF member since he was at Pierre's. His wife and family are very worried ;)

Joking aside. I would love to do that sometime in the near future. You have Broadwell in your backyard.

k.

Joking aside. I would love to do that sometime in the near future. You have Broadwell in your backyard.

Totally visited him. It was awesome. I lost the pics because of a hard drive issue, but indeed it was very cool experience. I'm gonna go back in a few months, hopefully get some grinding time with the master. This time I won't miss out on his pens.

Pierre, I'd love to see your shop too, but it'd take a Tardis to get me up there in January.

I shudder to imagine how much $$$ I'd be shoveling out the door if I lived close enough to one of you makers so I could visit :scared4:

I sure it was a real treat for the KKF member.

This guy (me) is jealous! That's awesome. I REALLY need to pay you and Randy a visit. My wife and I are currently keeping our eyes open for future cottage opportunities up in Randy's neck of the woods, so I see it being a bit more likely than heading out to Lloyd...although, we do have family out that way....

Sorry it has taken so long to reply but right after meeting with Pierre I ended up in Atlanta for training without a computer. Still there! It is truly impressive to find people who will take the time and have the patience to teach and explain the small details that truly make the difference in a quality product. This is exactly what I got from Pierre and I highly encourage people to spend the time discussing with the makers and if at all possible, having a visit with them. Thanks again Pierre for all your time and I am looking forward to the finished product!! (He does, I am his wife and have been patiently waiting because Dan is way excited :)

Dan Gravel
PS - Contrary to appearance, the work area isn't that bad, it is like a teen's room. They know where everything is exactly so long as no one touches it.

But there is also a hazard to dealing with people first hand versus over the forum and e-mail ;)

k.

headline.jpg

What a cool way to spend part of an afternoon! I'm lucky to live in the same city as Pierre and as such, yesterday I was able to see my suji go from a profile that was heat treated to my ground blade. It was truely amazing to see how much effort and time it takes to work through bringing the blade to life. Through the entire process Pierre was amazingly patient with my questions and showed me exactly what he looks for and expects at each stage.
All Pierre's work looks increadable and he has super strict expectations and quality control and I would have been thrilled to 'just' get the final product but with the time I go to spend I find i'm looking forward to the final product with more anticipation than I ever thought possible. My only regret was that my camera batteries were dead and I don't have any pictures. :(
I realize I'm in a pretty unique situation, being so close, but if you can arrange a visit it is definately a worthwhile expierience.
Pierre, thank you very much for all your time. It's the next morning and still smiling from the expierience.

Dan

That's great. I'd love to stop in If I end of on the side of Alberta!

Pierre, I should take you up on that offer, since I am in calgary and its only a ~6 hour drive. too bad lloydminister is not closer.

I'm in the same position with Marko who is kindly having me visit him next month to discuss my upcoming custom and give me a tour of his shop. It is great to know that makers such as Pierre can get as excited as us customers to share such an experience.

If anybody is ever in my neck of the woods, look me up! I dont have a lot of equiptment like some, but I can show you what I do, or we can just BS and chat knives!

Same thing the other way around, Pierre. You know where to find me :D

Back