Quantcast
Best Value Knife
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Value Knife

Best Value Knife

I was wondering what the best value knife on the market is just from a steel perspective. I don't care if the handle/FF is below average or if I have to work on the edge a bit. I am looking a blade to grow into with some elbow-grease edge work and also worthy of handle replacement that will make it glow.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

If you can get it, the Miyabi Morimoto 8" or 10" gyuto from Amazon for 70-80 bucks going on right now. The 10" may be sold out though. I love the profile, and just got a 10 inch as my take along to another house knife.

Takagi makes a 200-something dollar Honyaki which is sold at japanwoodworker which is pretty rough and ready by all accounts. I like my Sugimoto 210 (195) wa gyuto which is I'd say is untouchable in the stainless laser class.

Thanks for the recs, and I forgot about those Takagi honyaki knives at JWW.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    Quote Originally Posted by chazmtb View Post
    If you can get it, the Miyabi Morimoto 8" or 10" gyuto from Amazon for 70-80 bucks going on right now. The 10" may be sold out though. I love the profile, and just got a 10 inch as my take along to another house knife.
    Do I recall correctly that this series is VG10?

If we're talking Miyabi, you've got to think 7000MCD line is an insane value (zdp-189, at 66HRC) and the 6000S is a very good value (German steel, to 57HRC), but not as good as the 7000D (VG10, brought to 60HRC).
    to be honest, they seem to be a great buy in most of their chef knives, but not quite so much when it comes to the other styles.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

The Sakai Yusuke White #2 knives are awesome value. Fit and finish is pretty much perfect and they have great geometry. They aren't really rough and ready though

So, am I understanding the the 600s, since it is German steel, is NOT VG10 If not, is "German" steel all we know about it? I'm sure the MCD line is a great knife but it appears to be three times+ the price of the 600s. Correct me it I'm wrong.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the same old Henckels steel, but brought to a slightly harder finish. I might be wrong...
    However, on cutleryandmore, the 7000MCD 8" gyuto is/was $149!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thx Lefty. If it's the same old Henckels steel, why is it any better than a....well...Henckels. ;-)