Quantcast
Laminating with copper? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Laminating with copper?

for reference, another older knife with copper in between the layers:

i also saw it in scissors when i was visiting a specialty store in japan... the maker mad passed away and was the last scissor maker doing that kind of lamination by hand

Very interesting. I've seen copper and iron laminated by solid state diffusion in mokume. Ariel Salaverria has a tutorial on 1070/copper welded at full heat in a can. I hadn't considered it an alternative to Nickel as a carbon barrier. I wonder why the trend moved to nickel as its 10 times the price. Are these examples stainless clad?

Quote Originally Posted by sachem allison View Post
    I'm glad you like it. that whole set is filled with great cutters. wait til you use the nakiri.
    I have used it...Fantastic veggie knife. I am rather happy with all of them..Even more so when i get them all rehandled

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Davis View Post
    I have used it...Fantastic veggie knife. I am rather happy with all of them..Even more so when i get them all rehandled
    if i hadn't of sold them I was going to have them rehandled, but i really don't use single beveled knives.

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Very interesting. I've seen copper and iron laminated by solid state diffusion in mokume. Ariel Salaverria has a tutorial on 1070/copper welded at full heat in a can. I hadn't considered it an alternative to Nickel as a carbon barrier. I wonder why the trend moved to nickel as its 10 times the price. Are these examples stainless clad?
    No , the Watanabe is carbon steel, I don't remember exactly what he used to use back in the day when I got these before he became famous and I couldn't afford his work.