Laminating with copper?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
Ok...I got this knife, it is a small deba(100mm) and it has a layer of copper between the jigane and the hagane. Has anyone ever seen this before?
2012-01-20_23-24-44_56.jpg

2012-01-20_23-24-33_598.jpg

Just thought it was kinda cool, but didn't know that was possible.

There is a maker on the west coast, that does a sanmai tool steel core, but has layers of copper in the damascus cladding. Quite striking to look at for sure.

You see nickel layer often, to prevent carbon migration, but copper I have not seen before.

M

Is it dangerous? I know copper pots need to be retinned once you can see the copper showing through on the inside.

Mike is that the watanabe? I do believe some of his older debas are made that way.

Is it dangerous? I know copper pots need to be retinned once you can see the copper showing through on the inside.

The copper only becomes a problem with acidic foods. That's why you re-tin those pots. it's the salts produced by the reaction of food acids and the copper that can become toxic, but you would need alot of it. I imagine with the deba, since it is dealing with fish you shouldn't have an issue.

I'm glad you like it. that whole set is filled with great cutters. wait til you use the nakiri.

for reference, another older knife with copper in between the layers:
img_0062_9.jpg

i also saw it in scissors when i was visiting a specialty store in japan... the maker mad passed away and was the last scissor maker doing that kind of lamination by hand

Very interesting. I've seen copper and iron laminated by solid state diffusion in mokume. Ariel Salaverria has a tutorial on 1070/copper welded at full heat in a can. I hadn't considered it an alternative to Nickel as a carbon barrier. I wonder why the trend moved to nickel as its 10 times the price. Are these examples stainless clad?

I'm glad you like it. that whole set is filled with great cutters. wait til you use the nakiri.
I have used it...Fantastic veggie knife. I am rather happy with all of them..Even more so when i get them all rehandled :)

I have used it...Fantastic veggie knife. I am rather happy with all of them..Even more so when i get them all rehandled :)

if i hadn't of sold them I was going to have them rehandled, but i really don't use single beveled knives.

Very interesting. I've seen copper and iron laminated by solid state diffusion in mokume. Ariel Salaverria has a tutorial on 1070/copper welded at full heat in a can. I hadn't considered it an alternative to Nickel as a carbon barrier. I wonder why the trend moved to nickel as its 10 times the price. Are these examples stainless clad?

No , the Watanabe is carbon steel, I don't remember exactly what he used to use back in the day when I got these before he became famous and I couldn't afford his work.

Latest posts

Back