Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tell Us How You Really Feel: Durian

Tell Us How You Really Feel: Durian

It's the king of fruits. Over 800 varieties and I love every kind I've ever tried.

What do you think? Feel free to share recipes, but I think it's best by itself, or on top of coconut and pandan sticky rice.

Never had it. Don't feel the need to seek it out.

Don't drink out of ornamental ponds in Tiergarten. You will get sick.

Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Only tried one variety, will never knowingly try any or anything associated with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    Never had it. Don't feel the need to seek it out.
    I imagine it would be very difficult to find in your neck of the woods, in addition to being astronomically expensive and likely overripe.

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite fruit?

Quote Originally Posted by Barmoley View Post
    Most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. Only tried one variety, will never knowingly try any or anything associated with it.
    Where were you when you tried it? I feel like eating durian is an experience-- it's a polarizing food. I won't attempt to change your mind at all, I'm just curious about the where, when, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mise_en_place View Post
    I imagine it would be very difficult to find in your neck of the woods, in addition to being astronomically expensive and likely overripe.

Just out of curiosity, what is your favorite fruit?
    I love a perfectly ripe pineapple or mango. Not always easy to find though.

Quote Originally Posted by DamageInc View Post
    I love a perfectly ripe pineapple or mango. Not always easy to find though.
    This can be a difficult task. After durian, a perfectly ripe mango is my favorite fruit without question.

There is a place in Copenhagen that usually has fantastic mangoes from Peru, but they are quite expensive at around 6 USD per. I get one every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by mise_en_place View Post
    Where were you when you tried it? I feel like eating durian is an experience-- it's a polarizing food. I won't attempt to change your mind at all, I'm just curious about the where, when, etc.
    I tried it in Singapore 12 - 13 years ago. Tried it at a market, it was supposed to be excellent, just the right ripeness, fresh, etc. I know a few people who love it, I can't understand how that is possible. This makes me think it is something genetic, a person either has the Durian gene or not.... I don't think a person would be able to learn to like it or get used to it.....

I was always told that the best mangos come from the gold coast (in Africa). My g/f always avoids all the south American stuff because she says they're just not as good. I still can't get over the earthy taste tho.
    Never had a huge issue with pineapple. Yes they're never ripe when you buy them, but they always riped just fine on the counter. The only difficulty is knowing when to cut it. Same thing with kiwis; you just have to plan ahead with them.