Quantcast
Where can mere mortals buy prime cuts?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where can mere mortals buy prime cuts?

Where can mere mortals buy prime cuts?

I've always heard that restaurants get most of the prime cuts and that all we consumers can really get in the store is choice. Where would a guy who isn't in the restaurant biz find prime steaks?

Inquiring minds want to know!

-d

Whole Foods, and sometimes Costco
    Last year the local costco had really nice frozen prime cuts

My Costco usually carries prime New York strips and boneless ribeye, steaks or whole. When I buy them whole I dry age them in my fridge.
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

In a related question that just occurred to me...I have access to several local meat markets/butchers that source from local farms. They never really discuss/mention grading, they just have tasty beef for sale. Do these folks use USDA grading typically?

-d

Whole paycheck is a good place, but you give your whole paycheck. Costco. In Orlando here, they usually have prime NY strip and Ribeye, sometimes Sirloin (their butcher said the prime sirloin was better than the choice NY strip. I doubt that because Costco's choice steaks has alwasy had good marbling). All meats at Costco have USDA stickers on them. Prime NY strip go anywhere from 8.99 to 10.99 /#. If you buy the cryo pack, it is usually a dollar a # less.

Quote Originally Posted by deker View Post
    In a related question that just occurred to me...I have access to several local meat markets/butchers that source from local farms. They never really discuss/mention grading, they just have tasty beef for sale. Do these folks use USDA grading typically?

-d
    Most local farms have either an inspector on premise or one that comes on a daily basis. You probably just have to ask your butcher what grade of meat he/she is getting and what they can get their hands on. Sometimes, butchers will save the best cuts of meat for 'favorite' customers, which is why it is always a good idea to invite your butcher to your bbq

I think there are mail-order sources as well?

I've ordered American Wagyu from these folks before with good results: http://www.snakeriverfarms.com/

I know there are others, however, as well.

T.

Find a butcher shop near you there is most likely one not to far. The good ones carry fresh prime meat. I would try to seek out a butcher or meat market before costco but thats just me.. Try Myers'meat Market Inc 600 3rd St Hanover, PA (717) 632-1684

Any butcher worth his salt would order you in some prime upon request, even if it's not something he normally stocks.
    The same goes for any random ass cut you saw on Iron Chef and think you just have to try.

As far as "choice" meat in supermarkets, yes, some carry it. Most meat you see in the market is actually a grade down though, "select." Particularly if you cant find a USDA grade sticker on it, it's most likely "select" grade. (as in, don't select this one)
    Many market carry both, touting the choice cuts as some grand thing and proceed to charge prime prices (or nearly so).

Here in Texas we have Central Market. It's amazing! Maybe you have something like that there.

+ Reply to Thread