Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hours worked

Hours worked

Okay, so I have a tendancy to work longer than I probably should, considering the family at home. But I have been working in the restaurant business since I was 15 and long hours were just the norm.

Just out of curiosity, in case it is not the norm and I am just a sucker...REALLY...how many hours per week do you work?

I usually do 11-12 hour days five days a week for about 55-60 hours. I usally answer emails in the wee hours of the morning and late at night. That would be a grand total of 60-65 hours give or take. This is what I have understood to be the norm. Anyone working more? Anyone working less?

This is not limited to the restaurant industry. I would love to hear how many hours everyone else is working too. (except state and federal employees, we all know you are capped at 40.lol)

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    Okay, so I have a tendancy to work longer than I probably should, considering the family at home. But I have been working in the restaurant business since I was 15 and long hours were just the norm.

Just out of curiosity, in case it is not the norm and I am just a sucker...REALLY...how many hours per week do you work?

I usually do 11-12 hour days five days a week for about 55-60 hours. I usally answer emails in the wee hours of the morning and late at night. That would be a grand total of 60-65 hours give or take. This is what I have understood to be the norm. Anyone working more? Anyone working less?

This is not limited to the restaurant industry. I would love to hear how many hours everyone else is working too. (except state and federal employees, we all know you are capped at 40.lol)
    When i was cooking, it was closer to 16 hours a day 6 days a week (sometimes 7... or sometimes just a half day on the 7th day). About 80+ hours a week.

Now days, its much more, but it feels like less... i pretty much never stop working (i just dont always do it from a desk... my cell phone runs my life)

Right now I work three jobs, so I won't even try to get into the number of hours I work. When I was a cook I worked around 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. Most of the prep work for the afternoon was taken care of by the lunch guy so that took up a lot of slack.

The difference between my work now and then is that now I have the freedom to come and go pretty much whenever I please, and the stress level is much different. As I said in an earlier post, I still have nightmares about tickets piling up and forgetting which steaks belong on which plates with which sides. For all the romance of the Food Network, I think very few people realize how strenuous and stressful kitchen work is! I can't imagine how I'd juggle being a chef with a home life, wife, and three boys ages 6,5,and 4.

91 a week sometimes more.

Anywhere from 40 to 65 a week, usually around 50 or so. I work hilarious hours now for cooking...630am to 430pm mon-fri, no work on school holidays.

There are many who disagree, and many who have proven otherwise for their families, but I do not think food service is a career compatible with having a family. If you have time for them, you don't have money for them, and vice versa.

That's why I'm getting out! Again!

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    (except state and federal employees, we all know you are capped at 40.lol)
    Here in Canada, it can be even less. I work as the chef at a govt org, Mon-Fri 7 hours a day or 35 hours per week, for a very handsome salary and benefits. Do you hate me? I see it as my just reward after 30 years in the biz

Quote Originally Posted by cnochef View Post
    Here in Canada, it can be even less. I work as the chef at a govt org, Mon-Fri 7 hours a day or 35 hours per week, for a very handsome salary and benefits. Do you hate me? I see it as my just reward after 30 years in the biz
    Yo guy!! Hook a brotha up!!

When I was in school I worked a seasonal job every summer ( 5 summers) I worked 7 days a week 16-18 hours a day for 22 weeks, I was payed $12 hr cash ( 1992-1997). When i would go back to school it felt like a brake. I also felt like the richest man in the wold, as I had next to no bills back then and no time all summer to spend any cash.

Not counting right now opening the new place and all I WAS working 5, 14hr days a week.
    It's looking like this summer with the new place might remind me of the old days

Yesterday I worked from 5am (inventory, ordering) in the morning til 10pm at night. We just rolled a new menu out yesterday that the Executive Chef and I and staff have been working towards. The current place I work is NEVER closed barring hurricane, NEVER. Lunch and Dinner EVERY day of the year. I have been working a lot but not as much as I have (but probably harder the hours I do work). I am lucky to work with the Chef I do and feel he feels the same about me. We have a young crew for the most part including the other 2 sous chefs so a lot of teaching going on.
    It is definitely not a family oriented job for the most part. It's not so much the hours, as I believe (know) you can't do anything right if you don't put the time in, its the way you spend the hours. Like Jon mentions he never stops working but he is not confined to one spot, has time to check phone messages, run errands inbetween, go to lunch with his wife (while working) ... These are things non existent in a Chef's world, a good one anyway. Like I said I am lucky to work with who I do. He has a daughter and understands the "people" side of this business, something a lot of Chef's pay little attention too.

Bryan

I don't work in the F&B industry but I work a healthy amount due to my chosen career. I average sixty hours a week but after reading this you guys are absolute champs when it comes to maxing out hours. I just hope that those of you working seventy plus hours aren't paid salary. How do you keep from getting burnt out being away from your family and friends so much?