Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basic carbon utility knife recommendation

Basic carbon utility knife recommendation

Okay, first post with the requisite "which knife" question.....

I have a couple nice Shuns, and they are okay, but my favorite daily knives are actually my Spyderco Yin&Yang. These are VG10 which is fine but I'm looking to add a knife in a nice carbon steel with a similar design. The thing I like most about the Spydercos is how thin the blade is. Around 7" seems to be a nice length for the usual tasks I face. I don't need a fine point or big belly, just a nice general purpose slicer.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,

Ken

If you are looking for thin and open to a wa handle, you could get a Konosuke or Sakai Yusuke white#2 petty at 210mm, just an inch longer than your request, but you'll find it comes in handy.

However, if Shun is your comparison point, a knife like these will be EXTREMELY light and thin...only about 65 grams for an 8.2" knife. So that might turn some people off who don't know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac J View Post
    If you are looking for thin and open to a wa handle, you could get a Konosuke or Sakai Yusuke white#2 petty at 210mm, just an inch longer than your request, but you'll find it comes in handy.

However, if Shun is your comparison point, a knife like these will be EXTREMELY light and thin...only about 65 grams for an 8.2" knife. So that might turn some people off who don't know what to expect.
    Thanks! The Wa handle doesn't bother me at all, it's more about the shape, thinness and steel of the blade. I honestly don't have much knowledge of Japanese knives in general and I wouldn't say I'm looking for an ubër knife is any sense. Truth be told, if Opinel made a utility size of their paring knife, I'd take it hands down.

I did find the Konosuke at CKtG but it was out of stock. I didn't see the Sakai Yusuke listed there...

Ken

Sakai Yusuke can be found from Bluewayjapan via ebay...he is a reputable seller that many have done business with.

180mm petty
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item35b50d6d0a

or the 210mm...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item589199fe76

here is a 210 with a yo(western) handle that you might prefer.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-Sak...item5890b8ee25

I can't actually think of many carbon 210 pettys. If you want stainless JKI has a few choices. I have the Sakai Yusuke and it is excellent. You can get them with a white ferrule which looks nice. They also have special ultra-thin version if you are feeling crazy

I enjoy using my Devin Thomas 150mm Carbon petty, but I'm wondering if it's too small for this conversation.

It's also fun to sharpen, although I'm probably overdoing it because of my OCD.
    I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates who said: "I drank what?"

Will Catcheside made one recently that you would probably like, he'll probably make one for you too. You can click the pic.

Murray Carter has one you will like, it's 180mm, white steel(which is carbon, takes a good edge, and is easy to learn to sharpen on). It's laminated with stainless.

There's also other options, like a Takeda Funayuki, which is a great maker and excellent carbon steel, but it's a lot taller than the Spyderco ones you cited as liking.

Mike Davis has been making some great looking stuff too.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Thanks guys! Lots of great recommendations. I'm getting the feeling that Japanese (or at least Japanese style) knives are the most popular styles? I actually prefer a blade shape more like the Opinel paring knife (less tapered to the point but not a "reversed" spine like a Santuko) Nothing like that out there these days?

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    I enjoy using my Devin Thomas 150mm Carbon petty, but I'm wondering if it's too small for this conversation.
    Yeah, I kinda think it might be. 6" would be fine but I'm good up to around 8".

Quote Originally Posted by mindbender View Post
    It's also fun to sharpen, although I'm probably overdoing it because of my OCD.
    I so get that I've actually started doing touch ups on my DMT ceramic rod. Seems like a nice compromise.

Cheers,

Ken