Gyuto Specs (Heel Height and Thickness)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don Nguyen

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered! I can't find what I'm looking for when I did some searches.

-What is the standard heel height on most gyutos? What would you consider to be the minimum and maximum height for it to be usable? What height do you prefer, and why?​

-What is the standard thickness at the heel and towards the tip? How thick would a laser be, and how thick a hefty knife?​

I've never touched a real knife before, so I'm absurdly curious. Thanks for your time!

-Don

I think to narrow this down some u might want to tell us what size gyuto u are looking at, otherwise there is just too much to get into IMHO.

I'm not looking at any gyutos, I'm looking towards making them.

Sorry for my vague OP post - I should have specified that first.

Height is usually a 1/5 ratio to length +/- a couple of mm.

I'm not looking at any gyutos, I'm looking towards making them.

Sorry for my vague OP post - I should have specified that first.

i think the question was asked to get an idea of the size of the knife you want to make. The height at the heel will vary with the overall length of the blade. Go look at some Sabatiers to see how that varies. For a 240mm gyuto, the height at the heel ranges from 45mm to 55mm or more.

In the same manner, the spine thickness will vary with size, as well as with the maker. Shigefusa gyutos, for example, can be 4-5mm at the heel since they are forged, but a laser or waterjet cut knife may be only 2mm.

So, your question is hard to answer without more information from you.

Rick

So for a 240mm gyuto (what I'm making to make), the heel height ranges from about 45mm-55+mm?

Is there any other information that you need? Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

Yup, 48-55mm is a good range.
If you don't want a laser or a mighty gyuto 3mm is probably a good starting spot for thickness.

I'm forging it at the moment from 1/4" stock, but will eventually just grind it straight from thinner material.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I'm forging it at the moment from 1/4" stock, but will eventually just grind it straight from thinner material.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

Jon Broida of JKI posts measurements of many of the knives on his website. You may want to peruse them. Some links:

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...su-240mm-stainless-clad-white-2-wa-gyuto.html

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/heiji/heiji-240mm-wa-gytuo.html

http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/kitchen-knives/ashi-hamono/ashi-240mm-stainless-wa-gyuto.html

Rick

From what I have seen, about 2-3 mm is the most standard spines, 48mm - 52 mm most standard height for 240mm gyuto (most popular blade length). You will want to study grinds, distal tapers, and edge angles. Gyutos are typically asymetrical. I am still learning so I will yield to the experts. David

I took a good look at at 45mm and 55mm blade height at the heel.

a) the 45mm blade height may raise some issues as to knuckle clearance issues ( if it is a concern) esp. more so if the the handle is wider/ thicker than usual.

b) visually, it makes a world of difference as the blade looks far wider as it affects the geometry across the whole edge length. Ealy has some pics as to the geometry of his AEB-L pre buy .. . take a look..

c) a 50mm may be a good compromise.. But I have not had an opportunity perssonally inspect one. Most German adn Japanese knives production are in the 45mm range.

rgds

d
Have fun

Back