Quantcast
Pickling and Preserving
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pickling and Preserving

Pickling and Preserving

So this is the first technique post related to my earlier one about learning technique.

So my house smells of citrus and vinegar. I mean it really smells like a big pickle.

Anyhow, here is what I pickled today.

* David Chang's quick pickled cantaloupe from Momofuku (takes an hour)
    * Moroccan-Style Preserved Lemons from Gourmet 2007 (quick recipe, about 5 days)
    * Preserved Lemons from Cuisine Magazine (takes 5 weeks)
    * Preserved Calamondins (takes 5 weeks)
    * Thai and Ginger pickled radishes from Food&Wine (takes overnight)
    * Pickled mustard seeds from Momofuku (takes about 2 hours with cool down)

I must admit that I have done the radishes before, and they are a nice substitute for pickled ginger with sushi. The pickled mustard seeds are to die for. I was just spooning them into my mouth, but I can imagine using them in many places. They are just such a nice tangy sweet punch. The cantaloupe was very nice, and I could definitely see having them for finger food in the summer when entertaining. They were also the easiest thing to prepare.

As for the calamondins and other lemons, I will have to see how they turn out in five weeks. And the recipe from the late Gourmet magazine will take about a week. This recipe from David Lebovitz is pretty close to what I did.

I also used meyer lemons instead of regular lemons. Now I have to figure out what to do with everything once it is done

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I had a good afternoon!

Here's the fruits I went with:

The right is Meyer Lemons, blanched and wedged, de-seeded and salted. I used RealSalt sea salt for all of these.
    The middle is Mexican Key Limes, halved, deseeded and salted. These are going to get some Guajillo Chile powder in a week.
    The left is my "Quats". Kumquats, Limequats, and Madarinquats. They are all cut and de-seeded, except for the kumquats. I also sugared this batch in addition to salting it.
    The bottom is my Shigefusa, my buddy for cooking fun. I should name it.

I'm not sure if these are going to give up enough liquid to cover themselves, but I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Also, I got my Sauerkraut going today. I don't have a ceramic crock, or money. So I borrowed some stuff from work(because the resto supply store is closed today). Thankfully, a 1gal lid fits inside an 2gal container closely.

It's shredded, but not super fine, with the hearts still in it--I want it to cruch!. It got sea salt and Juniper berries. It's not giving up tons of water yet, despite being beat up.

I put the crock from my small electric crock pot on top, with rocks in it. The towel is to keep dust and bugs out, but this a city apartment, and I don't trust the roaches--so it got taped.

In the meantime, I picked up some Bubbie's pickles and sauerkraut today.

Can't wait to see what you guys are doing!

Man, K, yours are way more interesting than mine!

Care to post the cantaloupe one? I have one sitting in the fridge that I don't feel like eating!

I recently had to do an impromptu meal with preserved lemons. Because of time constraints, I went with the 'Ideas in Food' freeze/thaw cycling method, adding my own spices. Actually didn't turn out half bad.

I really have to start doing preserved citrus with some of the local fruit.

My mother-in-law is staying with us for a bit. The fridge always has some kind of tsukemono lurking in it.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Here is a link to prepare preserved lemons using the sous vide method: http://svkitchen.com/?p=614

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    I had a good afternoon!

Here's the fruits I went with:

The right is Meyer Lemons, blanched and wedged, de-seeded and salted. I used RealSalt sea salt for all of these.
    The middle is Mexican Key Limes, halved, deseeded and salted. These are going to get some Guajillo Chile powder in a week.
    The left is my "Quats". Kumquats, Limequats, and Madarinquats. They are all cut and de-seeded, except for the kumquats. I also sugared this batch in addition to salting it.
    The bottom is my Shigefusa, my buddy for cooking fun. I should name it.

I'm not sure if these are going to give up enough liquid to cover themselves, but I'll deal with that tomorrow.

Also, I got my Sauerkraut going today. I don't have a ceramic crock, or money. So I borrowed some stuff from work(because the resto supply store is closed today). Thankfully, a 1gal lid fits inside an 2gal container closely.

It's shredded, but not super fine, with the hearts still in it--I want it to cruch!. It got sea salt and Juniper berries. It's not giving up tons of water yet, despite being beat up.

I put the crock from my small electric crock pot on top, with rocks in it. The towel is to keep dust and bugs out, but this a city apartment, and I don't trust the roaches--so it got taped.

In the meantime, I picked up some Bubbie's pickles and sauerkraut today.

Can't wait to see what you guys are doing!
    rad! i've only pickled a couple times, the last batch being just carrot baton nets with garlic, thyme and peppercorns. you've inspired me to do more than the simplest thing possible! your stuff sounds great too, Drinky!

Ok, too busy this weekend to do anything but next weekend I want to pickle some lemons and also some hot pepper/carrot/onions. I'm traveling during the week, so hopefully I can do it next weekend. Love that we're off to a good start. I am really interested to see how a pickled lemon is in a martini.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    the last batch being just carrot baton nets with garlic, thyme and peppercorns.
    I was literally just feeding those to my daughter. what a coincidence!

does that mean you'll pay me royalties?