Quantcast
Pickling and Preserving - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pickling and Preserving

Quote Originally Posted by jm2hill View Post
    Care to post the cantaloupe one? I have one sitting in the fridge that I don't feel like eating!
    I took a photo of the cantaloupe pickle from Chang's book. One thing I will say is that they taste best eaten within the first 4-8 hours. I left a small amount over night and they were too sweet -- though my one-year-old still loved them.

Also, here is a picture of my test jars.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1629.jpg‎
Views:	22
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	3982   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1630.jpg‎
Views:	24
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	3983  

"In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Why is they upside down, sir?

I don't see quantites for the brine ingredients in that recipe page. Is that info higher up on the page?

I'd like to give the melon pickling a try.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    Why is they upside down, sir?
    No reason really. I thought it looked better.

And here is the recipe with ingredients (duh). Thanks for catching that.

k.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1631.jpg‎
Views:	18
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	3984  
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Thanks!

Today I made a carrot pickle at work that I make periodically. I julienne carrot and radish and toss it with salt, minced shallot, mustard seeds, fresh bay leaves, and allspice. Mostly carrots and just a bit of the radish and shallot. lots of mustard seed though. I'm really digging fresh bay leaf too lately. Anyway, I just let it sit out at kitchen temp until after service and then top them with a straight white wine vinegar and granulated sugar pickle. Salting vegetables awhile before processing them further is a technique I'm becoming fond of. We also make a Rutabaga sauerkraut at work where we rate the rutabaga, salt it all day, then cook with onion, white wine, white wine vinegar, and caraway seeds slowly. Not a ferment pickle, but still nice. I have been wanting to make a fermented turnip sauerkraut, though.

The carrot/allspice pickle goes on a duck sandwich that is confit meat, duck liver pate, duck and ham terrine, red white shallots, and frisee on baguette--a take on the bahn mi--'m hungry now. eat me.
    Music--Food .:':. Dancing--Eating

Ok, I got some stuff done today. First up was pickled brussels, pretty straightforward pickle with apple cider vin, garlic and chile flakes...i used the chile flakes in all of these. Then I tried some pickled carrots, inspired by some that I had at Tartine Bakery on a trip to San Francisco last year. F'n amazing! I'm hoping these will even be half that good. Also did some limes with garlic and some campari tomatoes I had sitting around. Good times. Please excuse the poor photography.

Very nice. I love my pickles with spice or chili in them. Sometimes I like doing a curry pickled asparagus. I'm interested how the tomatoes turn out. That hadn't occurred to me before. I thought they would just become a mushy ball.

k.

Nice variety!

+ Reply to Thread