Dexter stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tk59

Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm sharpening a Dexter stainless slicing cleaver. What grit should I use to finish this guy? Thanks!

My vote? 220 belt + 1200 rod.

You could put a high performance edge on it, but it won't last a day in a pro kitchen, a week at home. It'll still cut stuff, but it'll need to hit the honing rod, and won't be refreshable after a short while. Not sure if you do the belt sharpening thing.

If you don't, I wouldn't take it over the 1k stone. Maybe edge-trailing on a clean 2k or something.

i wouldn't take standard western knives past my Naniwa green brick.

I'll either use the bester 1200 or the green brick and strop on felt with diamond. Even that may be excessive.

Thanks. I'd been debating going higher than 500. I think I'll clean up with a 1k and then see what the user thinks of it. As for belt grinding the edge, I can do it but I prefer to get as much practice I can sharpening with by hand. It's one of those things where it can be tedious but it helps with muscle memory, not to mention my mental state, lol.

For fillet knives and German Kitchen Knives, I belt sand and then strop usually or finish on a ceramic. Like has been said, they won't hold that polished edge well enough to justify the work, plus with the flex of the blade, it's a bit harder to keep the angles consistent.

Just recently sharpened my friends Wusthofs (which went 2 years without any sharpening job) and I started with a 220 Shapton Pro and then Chosera 600. Seemed like a good stopping point, but went on to Bester 1200 to clean up/minimize any burr, and then I dropped back down to the 600 to add more aggressiveness.

Another buddy of mine had this old carbon pocket knife that I messed around with, and after trying a few different ways, I found my worn DMT C(325) to be the best stopping point to strop/finish on.

Just recently sharpened my friends Wusthofs (which went 2 years without any sharpening job) and I started with a 220 Shapton Pro and then Chosera 600. Seemed like a good stopping point, but went on to Bester 1200 to clean up/minimize any burr, and then I dropped back down to the 600 to add more aggressiveness.

Another buddy of mine had this old carbon pocket knife that I messed around with, and after trying a few different ways, I found my worn DMT C(325) to be the best stopping point to strop/finish on.

Wow, that's a bit surprising. Even cheapo carbon steel takes a pretty decent edge IME(which is limited..."cheapo" and "carbon steel" are somehow disparate concepts these days).

My €6 carbon Opinel gets the same treatment as the Japanese kitchen knives, ending with a Chosera 5k. Except for the angle, 34 degree inclusive instead of 24, because of the softer steel.

Wow, that's a bit surprising. Even cheapo carbon steel takes a pretty decent edge IME(which is limited..."cheapo" and "carbon steel" are somehow disparate concepts these days).

It's not that the steel wasn't capable, but he uses his knife for cutting rougher materials (no food) that a more polished edge wouldn't benefit from. Also, my DMT C is very worn that it feels as smooth as my Bester.

Right on. I was shocked when I put a really coarse, but even edge on my folder. I was relieved I didn't have to baby it anymore though!

Back