Quantcast
If you made knives, how would you market them?
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If you made knives, how would you market them?

If you made knives, how would you market them?

Edit: I've edited the content out. Free for all. No content post.

P.S. Edit: I had stuff in about Cut Brooklin, Quintin Middleton, Kramer, R!chm0nd, and Scmidt Brothers -- what's up with those boys??

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

I'd pay someone from the New York Times to shill my knives in the Sunday magazine.

All those guys kick ass at marketing. Yesterday, I showed my wife websites of many different knife makers, and ^that^ is literally a complete list of every one she said "I like that" or "that looks good".

I'd hire someone in marketing.

-AJ

All of the above. Nice pics displayed in a very public way along with a few words by someone with widespread credibility.

I had a conversation with Colin in brief about the value of something he made. Part of my conversation was a large part of the equation of how valuable something is, is your thought behind what you've created with the material. Ultimately the material has no value, it's what YOU do with it. You are selling yourself, whether you are selling food, knives, cars, houses, whatever it may be. You're selling yourself and the thought behind your work. The more connection people have to you and your work, the more successful you will come to be. And having a connection to people you will know what markets there are. If you're BSing people, it will come to light eventually. May not be today, may not be tomorrow, but it will come to light.

The beautiful thing I've grasped is the true innovators don't even give a $h!9 about the commercial markets and visualize their own thing and push the envelope on how things are done. This is how I would market a knife or any product. Look at what everyone else is doing and instead of trying to be like them, look for a venue they are not tapping into at all. So many are stuck in the past ways of doing things and as technology is advancing, many are happy to work with old ways of doing things unwilling to take advatange. The internet and the way apps, phones and etc are advancing, certainly this is the new era. Who is going to be the first to create a knife app for custom knives? The food trucks are tweeting where they are going to be and selling out everyday. Build interest in knives and do the same with a knife truck. Go hang out in nice kitchens in your area and give out knives to try and befriend the chefs, this will ALWAYS work if you're positive minded no matter the times. Crazy ideas, maybe. I didn't even think about those but for a second. When we have a bunch of places and a lot of people know who I am, I'll market everyone's stuff and put my name behind it no money down ... well ... payment in knives, nobody ever pays me in knives

Kind Regards

Bryan

Rick's idea makes the most sense to me. But, barring that, I'd do a quick passaround here, build a clean website, then get some buzz in a good Food Industry, like New York, Montreal, or Chicago (read the reviews if you don't believe me), by handing out a couple trial knives to really solid Sous-Chefs.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Yep, straight to the source is always the best. You cannot fail at that. Remember it's not just your knife you're selling though. Don't be a douche. A sour person will kill a great product any day of the week. If both are on point, success is only a matter of time

Sell to yuppie foodies

You really have to identify your demographics first. Each medium and the way that medium is used is driven by different demographic basis.

So far I can think of only one person who has succesfully bridged many different groups...