Quantcast
Knife block
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Knife block

Knife block

David, I have tried to contact you via your website and PM on this forum, can you please respond.

Jeff

I don't think he's making knife blocks anymore. He turned me away last year.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    I don't think he's making knife blocks anymore. He turned me away last year.
    Dave....please confirm or deny. That would save potential customers from having to play a guessing game.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    The web site contact page wasn't working so I didn't receive any contacts for about 30 days or so. It is fixed now. My email and internet service has been problematic since I picked up a virus on a woodworking site in December. I hope that has been fixed now.

PM sent to the OP.

So, are you doing knife blocks or not?

+1

I would be interested if so...

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    In a word, no. I sent two to UPS today and I do have one to finish as I have time but I don't plan on making any more. There are a variety of reasons but the biggest is the time required to make a knife block. I can only work on one at a time because the parts aren't interchangable and I have to drop everything else in the shop to work on them. Rather than dilute the cutting board efforts and take away from what is my bread and butter, I decided to let the knife blocks go and concentrate on what I believe I can do best.

Dang I feel really dumb for not getting one when you were making them. Really are the finest I've seen. Boardsmith rules.

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    Rather than dilute the cutting board efforts and take away from what is my bread and butter, I decided to let the knife blocks go and concentrate on what I believe I can do best.
    Makes sense to me. Sorry I missed my chance to own one.

A lot of us have the same requirements in a knife block, mainly, plenty of slots for gyutos and sujis in the 240mm+ size. Most commercial blocks have way too many small slots for crap we dont own/use, and not enough big slots or slots that arent big enough period. Maybe we could come up with a generic design that works for most people's specifications and Dave could do a "group buy" of a set amount (5-10?) of the same design. That way the parts are interchangeable and a bunch of them could be worked on at once.

Note: I have not discussed this with David, it was just something that popped into my head while reading this.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney