Quantcast
Knife block - Page 9
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Knife block

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    It would look a little weird handing there, though.
    Agreed. I would much rather have my knives in the in-drawer solution than the under cabinet deal.

Still Plays With Blocks
    Home Furnishings Capital of the World, High Point, NC
    I like the idea of an under the counter block and made one a long time ago. If it was angled slightly downward the knives would not need a magnet to stay in. But the rotation mechanism looks bulky and not very attractive.

I have more under the counter space than drawer space so an in drawer option would be out of the question in my small kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by The BoardSMITH View Post
    I never thought a discussion about knife blocks would go this far. And I do appreciate the kind words, more than you may know. Makes me blush!

To address some points: When I make knife blocks, I have to shut the shop down so nothing else can be made, they take that much time and attention as well as resources like clamps and space. They also require a different mind set as to what needs to be done and when. I wish there was a way to make a modular block, something that could be added to for expansion but I can't come up with a means to that end. The resulting block might be flimsy. With the number of knives and varied brands and sizes you guys have, I can't see how making a generic block could fill the needs. To date, with the number of blocks I have made, no two are even close to the same. If anyone has any ideas as to how to make either a generic block or one that could be added to, I would be more than happy to consider those ideas.

Will I ever start making blocks again? I can only say that if I get to the point where I have to add a person or two, that could be an option. I need an additional 30% in business to afford one person and still maintain a profit margin to keep the doors open and product going out. Given the state of our economy now and an election year, I just don't know if that increase is possible.

Thanks again for the kind words and encouragement. You guys are the best.
    If you ever change your mind put me on the list. This is Richard from Costa Mesa, California. I can't wait to getting my maple board from you. You are obviously a master craftsman. You make the world a better place.

If you ever make them again I´d love to have one of your nice knife blocks too!

Just a couple ideas I have been kicking around. Do a stock block in a one size fits all that accomodates around 30-40 knives in a group buy format in one type of wood. Maybe once a year if business ever slows down for you? I know I'd be up for a block if you ever started producing again.

Chock a block! Nice.