Knife block

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redfisher

Reaction score
David, I have tried to contact you via your website and PM on this forum, can you please respond.

Jeff

I don't think he's making knife blocks anymore. He turned me away last year.

The web site contact page wasn't working so I didn't receive any contacts for about 30 days or so. It is fixed now. My email and internet service has been problematic since I picked up a virus on a woodworking site in December. I hope that has been fixed now.

PM sent to the OP.

So, are you doing knife blocks or not?

So, are you doing knife blocks or not?

In a word, no. I sent two to UPS today and I do have one to finish as I have time but I don't plan on making any more. There are a variety of reasons but the biggest is the time required to make a knife block. I can only work on one at a time because the parts aren't interchangable and I have to drop everything else in the shop to work on them. Rather than dilute the cutting board efforts and take away from what is my bread and butter, I decided to let the knife blocks go and concentrate on what I believe I can do best.

Dang I feel really dumb for not getting one when you were making them. Really are the finest I've seen. Boardsmith rules.

A lot of us have the same requirements in a knife block, mainly, plenty of slots for gyutos and sujis in the 240mm+ size. Most commercial blocks have way too many small slots for crap we dont own/use, and not enough big slots or slots that arent big enough period. Maybe we could come up with a generic design that works for most people's specifications and Dave could do a "group buy" of a set amount (5-10?) of the same design. That way the parts are interchangeable and a bunch of them could be worked on at once.

Note: I have not discussed this with David, it was just something that popped into my head while reading this.

I have always wondered about some kind of modular design. For example, making single horizontal row elements with 4 slots for gyutos or 6 slots for small knives or one cleaver slot plus two gyuto slots etc, all in the same width, that could be stacked on top of each other. That way one could combine as much as one needs. The individual modules could be made ahead of time and require the same work process, so that this may actually be reasonably efficient. What would be missing is the nice outer frame that Dave puts around his blocks. I wish I had the talent or the time for a drawing, but I think you get the idea. And it would be more a functional solution than a piece of art, unless the modules came in different woods and one could combine them...

Stefan

A lot of us have the same requirements in a knife block, mainly, plenty of slots for gyutos and sujis in the 240mm+ size. Most commercial blocks have way too many small slots for crap we dont own/use, and not enough big slots or slots that arent big enough period. Maybe we could come up with a generic design that works for most people's specifications and Dave could do a "group buy" of a set amount (5-10?) of the same design. That way the parts are interchangeable and a bunch of them could be worked on at once.

Note: I have not discussed this with David, it was just something that popped into my head while reading this.

Sounds very interesting.

Rubbing it in, eh? Well then the least you can do is post some pics when it arrives for the less fortunate (like me). ;)

I will have to see if I can find my camera and figure out the whole posting pictures thing. I just got one that he had available, trusting I will like what I get.

So for those of us dummies who missed out on one of David's killer blocks, where should we look next? Particularly if we want kind of a nice one? Anyone have any ideas.

I'd build one myself if I wasn't about to be moving and had a heap of other **** to do?

So for those of us dummies who missed out on one of David's killer blocks, where should we look next? Particularly if we want kind of a nice one? Anyone have any ideas.

I'd build one myself if I wasn't about to be moving and had a heap of other **** to do?

Sadly, I ended up buying a 35? slot block marketed by Wusthof. It was cheap and it looks okay but I would have rather spent more for a BoardSMITH. I have one already and it never fails to impress almost as much as the blades it holds.

I had that discussion with my brother who has all the necessary woodworking gear and decided that I am going to build my own. I'm not going to get started on it until late spring and am just starting to plan out the layout. I want to make sure that I have enough and large enough slots that I am covered for future purchases.

Sadly, I ended up buying a 35? slot block marketed by Wusthof. It was cheap and it looks okay but I would have rather spent more for a BoardSMITH. I have one already and it never fails to impress almost as much as the blades it holds.

I have that also as my second block. Not like a custom one but functional compared to most others out there. And at under $100 cheaper than a custom block also, more money for knives...

Stefan

...I want to make sure that I have enough and large enough slots that I am covered for future purchases.
I've heard that one more than once before. I've uttered those same words myself... :rofl2:

What about a knife rack,are you still making these??

Okay, but only because you asked nice :)

P1268674.JPG

Latest posts

Back