I bought a reject

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
One of my Koa suppliers who gets me the really good stuff called me last week.
He said "I have a reject guitar board that you will probably want"
Being a good customer I said "OK, I'll take it"

rk001.jpg

Now I need to cut it up and send it to K&G for stabilizing.
I am guessing it will look pretty good once it get's cleaned up.

I was curious so I did a light sanding on a couple pieces.
Looks like it will be pretty good stuff.

rk002.jpg

Nice score, Mark. I think I would have given in and bought that also...

Stefan

You don't need that!! :wink:

True :) But I have about 6 different koa qualities, except for a premium regular curl like the one that Mark is showing. Well, there are two blocks I'll have to cut into and see how they turn out...

Stefan

True :) But I have about 6 different koa qualities, except for a premium regular curl like the one that Mark is showing. Well, there are two blocks I'll have to cut into and see how they turn out...

Stefan

It does look quite premium though..... :bigeek:

Stefan

For the regular spaced curl like you are talking about the board has to be;
1st of all really curly
2nd almost exactly quartersawn

This board will have about 20% quartersawn (even stripe curl)
50% riftsawn (crushed velvet look)
30% flatsawn (cathedral grain with even stripes on edges)

The coloring is what I like most. The red/orange.
This tends to be denser with smaller pores.
Plus a dramatic color change when you move it around.

This board will have about 20% quartersawn (even stripe curl)
50% riftsawn (crushed velvet look)
30% flatsawn (cathedral grain with even stripes on edges)
I have no idea what this means but I gather this is good stuff. :)

Something called 'cathedral' is usually impressive. The blocks looks great, Mark.

It would be really nice to have a 3" by 13" unstabilized piece of that beauty for a saya or two. :D Will that still be a possibility or is it all diced up by now?

DarKHOeK

I wouldn't call that piece a reject, just "unique"!

In the near future I will make a post with some pictures and such to explain some of this stuff.
Not necessarily interesting but maybe informative.
Be careful about what you read in regards to quartersawn, figure and other buzz words on the internet.
Much is incorrect and just repeated on various manufacturers sites.

Darkhoek
I had been leery about offering saya material from the koa because of how high the cost would be.
The size piece you mentioned would yield 4 handle blocks.
With that said,
I have only cut up a portion of this piece and could still get a saya piece like you mentioned.
I will send a PM later.

This is amazing looking wood. I don't need anything but just wanted to tell you it looks great.

I had been leery about offering saya material from the koa because of how high the cost would be.
The size piece you mentioned would yield 4 handle blocks.
With that said,
I have only cut up a portion of this piece and could still get a saya piece like you mentioned.
I will send a PM later.

Another option is if you have less impressive sections, you could use those for sayas. Getting a good color match will be nice by itself, the more impressive pieces with better figure can be saved for the handle pieces. Also, most sayas don't need to be stabilized, so you won't have to send these pieces out and add the cost of two way shipping and stabilization.

Another option is if you have less impressive sections, you could use those for sayas. Getting a good color match will be nice by itself, the more impressive pieces with better figure can be saved for the handle pieces. Also, most sayas don't need to be stabilized, so you won't have to send these pieces out and add the cost of two way shipping and stabilization.

That sounds like a brilliant idea :)
Actually I would much prefer if the saya wood is not stabilized as I need it to breathe to avoid moisture build up inside it.

DarKHOeK

Back