Quantcast
Homemade chicken stock
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade chicken stock

Homemade chicken stock

Roasted a chicken last weekend and made some stock from the leftovers. I like fixing mine in my slow cooker.
    Just throw the leftovers in the slow cooker with some carrots, celery and onions and fresh stock in the morning.

Here are some pics.

More pics and recipe here.

beautiful. I want to drink it.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

God, I wish I could take pictures like that!

I just finished making mine this morning! I could have written this post and it would have been perfectly accurate, lol.

Looks good! Try straining it through a coffee filter for a more clear stock.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Cool, I was thinking about getting a Costco chicken and making a stock from the leftovers later this week. My first thought was pressure cooker but there seems to be a difference of opinions about that. This could be my chance to use my slow cooker which has been sitting unopened on the top of my kitchen cabinet for a year or so...

Stefan

I did the same thing with a rabbit I did a few months ago. The only real difference is I put a bunch of mushrooms in when making the stock, along with the organs from the rabbit. Once I was done I put all the stuff I strained of the stock in the food processor with a little stock, butter, brandy and some herbs and made a paté.

That and it was way grosser because I had the head and everything.

Great idea doing it in your slow cooker using cheesecloth!

Another good hint for maximum flavor and color extraction is to roast your veggies in the oven first, leaving the onion skins on.

I like the idea of using a slow cooker. I also saw in a magazine recently of someone using a pressure cooker to speed things up. That would be interesting to try.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I like the idea of using a slow cooker. I also saw in a magazine recently of someone using a pressure cooker to speed things up. That would be interesting to try.

k.
    I have found the slow cooker method to be the easiest, no fuss way to make stock. After dinner I throw the leftover roast chicken into my slow cooker with some carrots, onions and celery (plus anything else I have laying around), then top of with water. When I get up in the morning the stock is done. If you used the cheesecloth to line the insert then even the cleanup is easy.